• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric fan operation

found my answer:

Electric cooling fan 4.0L: With or without A/C
request the electric fan will come on only when the
coolant temperature is at least 106° C (223° F), and
will remain on until the coolant temperature drops to
103° C (217° F) or below. Regardless of coolant temperature,
When air conditioning system pressures
reach 2068.5 6 138 kPa (300 6 20 psi) the electric
fan will engage and continue to run until the A/C
system pressure drops to 1620.3 kPa (235 psi) minimum,
then the electric fan will shut off.

Did the factory actually want my engine to run this hot? Crazy. I need to look into installing a toggle to switch the electric fan on at will.

Assuming the cooling system routine preventative maintenance is up to date, the stock cooling system works just fine for most XJ owners. Desert operation may challenge the cooling system some.

My 2000 has never overheated, even when 4-wheeling in +90* conditions, but after 13 years of use the fan clutch is getting weak and needs replacement.

Yes its all new stuff, when I put in my engine I replaced every single thing.

Mine gets hot at idle... I'm thinking my fan clutch is getting bad too.

In the drive thru last night, it went up to 224. I couldn't tell if the elec fan kicked on or not. It does kick on when the a/c is, but I need to test if it kicks on at idle w/o the fan.

Temperature rise at idle is the classic symptom of a weak fan clutch.

my new motor seems to wanna get hot at idle as well not nearly that hot thoughz hangs around 195 but stop n going and any sort of hill brings it up to 210. i have new rad, tstat, fan clutch and cts.

Temperature rise at idle is the classic symptom of a weak fan clutch.

That's what I'm thinking too... strange because it's only been on for 8 months? I certainly don't ever hear that 'roar' when you know it's on. If it keeps acting up I'll swap my old one back on from before I did the engine swap.

Back