• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KJ axle under XJ possible?

nfletche

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,

I saw a great write-up over on another forum involving a relatively simple way to fit KJ disc brakes on an XJ. I'd post the link, but I'm not sure it's cool to link to a competing site... Maybe the ZJ swap is a better option, anyway?

But I got to thinking, how difficult would it really be to just swap in the 8.25 out of the KJ and get disc brakes and rear coils all at once? How much unibody modification would it take to support the coils, and would the stock rear control arms be enough to do the job? I think a rear coil conversion would be great, but the few kits I've seen are very expensive. Maybe different ABS systems, I think...is it possible to simply disable ABS? I've never had it on either of my XJs, so I know very little about it.

I couldn't find any examples of this being done, just wondering if it's even possible since I found a local KJ being parted out cheap...

and maybe there's something obvious I'm not thinking of, like different widths or something, besides the fabrication needed, that would make this too much to justify thinking about...

IIRC, KJ still has 5 x 4.5 BP.
And if you already have a C8.25. KJ disc swap is bolt-on. IF you do a rear coil swap, why go stock?
Clayton has a kit. Either way, not cheap or easy to do.
If cheap enough, buy the entire rear axle, also park brake cables. Use what you need to swap. Sell or scrap the rest.

D35 axle, probably pretty close.

The liberty axles are wider, have coil springs, and a boomerang shaped upper control arm. Not worth the hassle. Lug pattern is the same. Just do the brake swap and be done with it.

The liberty axles are wider, have coil springs, and a boomerang shaped upper control arm. Not worth the hassle. Lug pattern is the same. Just do the brake swap and be done with it.

How much wider are they? I thought when we measured my buddy's that they were the same length. But then again, we were drinking so anything is possible. :greensmok

I would definitely use the brakes as they, for the most part, bolt on. IMO, easier than using ZJ parts...

You will be changing the hard line regardless of the donor brakes as the connection to the caliper is different than that to the brake cylinder.

How much wider are they? I thought when we measured my buddy's that they were the same length. But then again, we were drinking so anything is possible. :greensmok

I got a liberty 8.25" axle shaft to use as a spare many years ago. When I checked it was about an inch or two longer than the XJ shaft.

I got a liberty 8.25" axle shaft to use as a spare many years ago. When I checked it was about an inch or two longer than the XJ shaft.

I wonder if its a centered/equal length setup like an XJ 8.25 or has offset shafts :dunno:

XJs and KJs use equal length shafts.

nfletche, swapping the axle is a lot of unnecessary work. Just change the back plates and drive!

Maybe you were working on a D35, or you are clueless?

This.

A long long time ago when I had a 8.25, one shaft started to twist the splines. In my great "wisdom", I swapped the shafts side to side to help twist the splines back straight :gee:

Back