• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle Angle

93gc40

NAXJA Forum User
So should I swap these shackle for my stock ones.. Thinking better angle would give better street ride. These give 1.5" lift. I do have plenty of extra XJ and S-10 leafs available to add to the existing Bastard pack to make-up for the lift lost.

Shackle relocators are the answer.

With your current shackle at that angle, adding relocators would maintain your lift height and give you a better ride and flex. You would need the standard relocators not the no lift ones.

Shackle relocators are the answer.

With your current shackle at that angle, adding relocators would maintain your lift height and give you a better ride and flex. You would need the standard relocators not the no lift ones.

You are correct BUT, I should have stipulated NO COST.. as I am unemployed.

If you still have your stock shackles you might as well try it.

But I don't see you getting a different shackle angle without spending something.

Do you have a welder? Access to fab tools? You could make your own for pretty cheap.

A shorter shackle will improve its angle yes. However more arch in the springs pulls the rear spring bushing forward. Also shorter shackle probably won't accomodate the travel needed in a more arched spring. So... if you have no money leave it as is.

A shorter shackle will improve its angle yes. However more arch in the springs pulls the rear spring bushing forward. Also shorter shackle probably won't accomodate the travel needed in a more arched spring. So... if you have no money leave it as is.

Good points... I knew there was something I was missing.. Because slipping a more arched leaf in was going to be part of the change I was considering.. Relocation is in the future plans. Money situation is temporary.
Currently the pack is XJ main, XJ main, S-10 and S-10 O-load. I was thinking about swaping the long shackel for the stock one, and then buildng up the pack with more arched leafs or some blocks I have. Don't want to do the blocks. And nwo that you mention it, the extra arch could put me in the same angle situation, but with shorter shackles.

So I may do some experimenting. I do have time to play with it.
Maybe punch some additional holes in the lift shackles.. Making them 3/4" lift rather than 1.5". Split the difference between stock and lifted length Then swap in a couple of the, I think YJ leafs, I have for the S-10 ones.. They have about the same arch the YJ and S-10 leafs, with the chevy leafs being heavier spring rate, or at least thicker.
Meh, Couple bags of concrete might solve the harsh ride issues, also.

When I had a bastard pack on my XJ, with little or no cargo it rode a bit rough. With a decent amount of weight it was better. Keep tools or other stuff back there.

Back