• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re-thinking axle choices

Skwirl

NAXJA Forum User
About to install lift kit on my 99 XJ. I would then wait until axle purchase to install new tires and wheels due to the need of gearing for 35's.

I am leaning towards a a pair of JK dana 44's. I could do front and back for the price of a rear 8.8 from east coast gear.

Anything I am missing? I don't plan to run anything bigger than 35's so this should be strong enough.

Just asking for any drawbacks if someone knows before I put out 2K+

You can easily find a similarly set up 8.8 for the same $8-900 as the jk rear, but I like the extra width of the jk axles. After market support is huge for jk's, driving the prices down and availability up.

Built stock axles are good enough for 35s. JK axles will handle em no problem, even the JK D30/44 would be ok. Kinda wide for an XJ though.

just truss and sleeve the front axle, truss the rear. aside from that, theyre fairly stout aside from the factory lockers not playing well with tires over 35"

just truss and sleeve the front axle, truss the rear. aside from that, theyre fairly stout aside from the factory lockers not playing well with tires over 35"

I know I couldn't do all that for $2k (gears, lockers, shafts etc.)
rubi 44's for 2 grand sounds pretty darn tempting..

Those are JK axles that have already been set up to go in an XJ? Because stock JK axles are not bolt in - you have to remove all the brackets and weld on the correct brackets in the right places to go under an XJ.....so don't forget to include the price of bracket kits and fab labor if you can't do it yourself...

Back