• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87 D30 click, click, click

jrowell

NAXJA Forum User
I'm chasing a clicking sound coming from my front end. It gets faster the faster i drive. Took the drive line out and no change. Put it on jack stands and in 4wd and there was no noise. It does have a Detroit locker. The pinion might have a little in/out side to side play... I can't tell for sure, might be my imagination. Wheel bearings feel good. Not sure what will else make a clicking sound. Amy ideas?

I have u joint going out in my D30. I can tell because it's making a clunking noise when I turn. It also makes clicking noise at low speed in 2 and 4wd coming from same side as clunking. Can't hear it at high speed for the tire noise. Had a buddy stand beside it while I drove at low speed. Said he can hear nothing. It is going to the shop on Friday to have them replaced and will let you know if the clicking goes away. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The ujoints *look* good. No signs of movement. I could pull it and put my spare in to see if that fixes it.

And there is a good amount of rotational "slop" in the diff but i attribute that to the locker.

Just some ideas... I had a brand new defective Timken hub assembly make the same sound. It felt fine when checked by hand, it needed the weight of the vehicle upon it to click. I've also seen sloppy caliper sleeves and boots allow the caliper to move around, creating a similar noise.

Re: Re: 87 D30 click, click, click

Just some ideas... I had a brand new defective Timken hub assembly make the same sound. It felt fine when checked by hand, it needed the weight of the vehicle upon it to click. I've also seen sloppy caliper sleeves and boots allow the caliper to move around, creating a similar noise.
That makes sense. In my mind, if it was in the diff it would do it on jack stands too. I think The hubs would be the only thing that needs weight to be affected.
Calipers are tight.

I know that my front U joint made some clicking sounds and found that the caps were leaking and letting water in, causing rust, and eventually ruining some needle bearings. Every XJ I have owned I have had to change the wheel bearings more often than I like. They make a similar sound but mine would be roaring also.

loose caliper bolt or missing altogether?
brakes hitting dust shield.

rock in the tire, between the tread.

Re: Re: 87 D30 click, click, click

loose caliper bolt or missing altogether?
brakes hitting dust shield.

rock in the tire, between the tread.

Funny enough, a couple months ago i had a marble in the tread that took me a long time to find. First thing i looked for this time. Caliper is good, i took everything apart last Saturday to see if i could find anything wrong. Next Saturday I'm going to put on a spare hub and see if that fixes it.

pull shafts and inspect U joints at the same time. Pop the cover too.

Opened up the diff again. It's definitely originating from in the diff. Everything is tight, and everything looks great. The sound is more of a clack, clack, clack. and it happens (or is heard best) when coasting. Not sure if it's locker or bearings or something is maybe bent a bit?

Axles look perfectly straight. Pinion yoke moves in/out side to side just a touch I think (might be my imagination). The pinion does not leak or get hot when running.

Going to pop the ring & pinion and locker out tonight and look at those bearings.

Well, for S&G's I popped in my spare axles. Noise is gone. U-joints it is! They feel good, not loose and no hard spots. I'm Stumped. I'll replace them with some new u-joints and throw 'em back in. Everyone kept saying u-joints... maybe next time I'll listen! Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Back