• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aftermarket gas gauge question.

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if the factory sender in a 97+ jeep can be made to work with an aftermarket gauge?

I want to put a factory tank under my M416 trailer and it would be nice to know how full it is.

If You use a gauge that has the same ohm range. For example, Auto Meter sells a gauge that is 240 Ohms empty / 33 Ohms full. I think the stock sender is 270 empty, and 20 full. A variable resistor soldered between the connections can adjust it to match up the empty reading. The full will be slightly off, but empty is more important.

Re: Re: Aftermarket gas gauge question.

A variable resistor soldered between the connections can adjust it to match up the empty reading.

Remember resistance is addition, so 13 ohms is needed. You can solder the needed resistance in series, 1/4 watt radio shack cheapos should work.

Radio Shack sells a 1000 watt variable resistor that has a screw adjustment. I used one on My motorcycle to get the fuel gauge reading right. Just turn the screw till it's good.

Back