• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump Nightmare

themauler

NAXJA Forum User
92 4.0 AX15

Jeep has a new fuel pump airtex assembly as of October 2013.

First Occurrence
I am doing highway speeds in Virginia on cruise control and the fuel pump jeep shuts down for a flash. It made the jeep kick pretty hard when the engine shut off but as soon as it shut off it kicked back on and kept on driving without me needing to do anyting.

Second Occurrence
Later that day I get back in the jeep to drive back to school and everything starts/runs great. Same section of highway the fuel pump cuts off for good and I roll to a halt in the emergency lane. Go to restart it and the pump only primes for what could be less than a second. I determine the rail isn't being pressurized when I charge the pump a few times. So I give up after a few more failed attempts at starting and call a tow. After the jeep gets dropped off at the house I try and start it for fun. Fires up like nothing wrong in the first place. Forced to leave it being sunday night and having to commute back to college.

My dad tried a new fuel pump relay and nothing. I am at school right now an hour and a half away so I have not been able to work on it but as soon as I get back I plan on trying to bypass the ballast resistor. Ifff the fuel pump acts normal bypassing the ballast resistor is it safe to assume that I get a new resistor and keep on rolling or is this characteristics of a bad pump?

I am very aware of the issues with airtex assemblies but when I had the jeep repaired in October of last year that was my only option with it being in the hands of a small mechanics shop. I have contacted Airtex about the pump acting up in under a year of use and they are being helpful which is nice.

Finally what are my options for a new fuel pump or fuel pump assembly so I can being to drive my jeep with out paranoia of airtex shafting me?

TIA

:patriot:

First, bypass the ballast resistor permanently and be done with it. If the pump makes too much noise (only reason there is a ballast resistor) after you sort out your problem, you can always "un-bypass" it.

The pump on my '93 has always primed for less than a second. Not saying this is "proper", just that the fast prime does not necessarily indicate a problem.

If the pump primes, you have voltage to the pump.

One of the most consistent cautions on any forum, which you have obviously seen, is to avoid Airtex. I have no personal experience with them, but the general consensus is forever and always that the miracle will be if an Airtex pump DOESN'T fail.

Bosch is, I believe, no. 1 rated.

This all provided, of course, that you are sure that fuel is not reaching the rail

I wouldn't think this is your problem but wanted to mention the fuel filter; been changed in recent memory?

Last edited:
Completely agree with Pelican on this one. Ballast resistor is useless and has caused issues like this for many people.

Also, airtex sucks. I could only get an airtex at the parts store when I put the new gas tank in my MJ (I figured I should do the pump while I was in there) so... I put the stock pump back in, with 207k+ miles on it.

Still works great (with no ballast resistor since 207k, it's at 250k or so now, so don't let people tell you jumping the ballast resistor will burn out the pump) 4 years later.

Back