• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 contact pattern and Questions

AJ's01XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just would like some opinions on the first contact pattern i have taken. The stats are.. 1987 cherokee xj dana 44. Everything is new except outer pinion set up bearing. The pinion depth is at .0425" the back lash is around .008-.009". ALSO when i took apart the axle there is was no stepped baffle under iner bearing race. should i use the one that came in the rebuild kit or not? i have read you dont need to on the rears just the fronts. Any info would be great. Thank you.
[URL=http://s1312.photobucket.com/user/AJs01XJ/media/D44008-009bl0425pd_zps524ca446.jpg.html]
D44008-009bl0425pd_zps524ca446.jpg
[/URL]

BL might tighten up with the increased pinion depth so you might end shifting shims to open up BL after, or maybe not

It's looking better, you're almost there. But I think you could go a little deeper yet. Take .003 shim out and add the .005 shim, so you add another .002" in depth. Hopefully then it would look perfect.

Nice OK know I don't have any .005 I'm going to have to do some math to figure out the next combo of shims. I will get it tho. I'll do that tonight.

YES! Thank you guys a ton. No i can finally finish it and start wheeling. Ohhhhhhh one more thing, do I need that stepped slinger behind the inner pinion bearing cup? There wasn't one in there when I disassembled it. But I have one in my rebuild kit. Should I use it? I know that if I do use it I will need to deduct the thickness of the slinger from my pinion shim stack. Thank you guys again.

Perfect! Thanks now time to find pinion preload specs and carrier preload specs and put it all back together! Unless you guys know them?

Back