• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help! Ignition problem

moximouse

NAXJA Forum User
95 cherokee- 2 dr manual. 4.0, 4x4.

I go to start it and when I'm turning the key, it starts fine, but as soon as I take tension off the key, it shuts down. There is kind of a "sweet spot" that I found to get it to run, but if the key shifts it shuts down. Is this an ignition switch problem?

Or the mechanical linkage to the switch. Either way it sounds like its in the steering column. I do know the libertys and grand cherokees had issues with mechanical breakage inside the lock cyl, but I dont know if that switch design was used in the XJ.

Ign. switch is partway (maybe half) down driver side of column. The "pin" basically slides the the apparatus forward and back. I was having an issue with mine. I would remove the pin and test it with a screwdriver or other apparatus. Chances are switch is bad. I just bypassed mine. Since my column was FUBAR anyways.

Back