• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oem petcock specs

bluejeepkid

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone know the thread pitch and size of the oem radiator petcock off the top of their head? I wanna replace the cheesy plastic thing with some metal
Thanks!

Note from DJ
Another possible solution
Radiator drain leaking
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1037404
Post #9 by shanesaw
I have a 1991+ radiator from AutoZone and I replaced the plug with a 1/4" NPT street elbow and then connected a 1/4" X 3" nipple with a cap. If yours has the same sized petcock, (anyone know if the '98 uses the same open system rad as a 1991?) then you should be able to do what I did or use a 1/4" NPT plug. I got the hardware at a True Value but Home Depot usually has 1/4" pipe fittings in brass. Just be careful when you thread it in. If you tighten it too much it will start bending the bung on the metal end-tank.

Mine broke years ago. I just pull the bottom radiator hose if I want to drain. Faster and I don't have to worry about it breaking:)

This....

... just pull the bottom radiator hose if I want to drain. Faster and I don't have to worry about it breaking:)

The plastic drain valve is fragile and drains slower than little old ladies drive.

If you have a leaky drain valve, clean it, and glue it shut.

Back