• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer wiring harness

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone out there make a 7pin plug and play style harness for our XJ's or do I need to buy the 4pin harness and run the extra wires myself? I'd prefer an all-in-one style harness for the 7 pin but all I can find is references to the Reese 4 pin kit.

If all you want is 7 pins, make an adapter.
If you want trailer brakes, you want to install your own controller and use the XJs wiring harness to transfer that to the back. Trailer wiring for brake wire (iirc) is under the left kick panel and under the panel the spare sits on.

The FSM will include the trailer wiring schematic. Haynes might have it, I haven't looked there.

-Ron

Yeah I need brakes.

Basically the PO had installed a 4pin and then did his own brake wiring and ended up with a 7 pin. He did shoddy work and I'm always troubleshooting it am messing with it.

I just want it fixed for good and I was hoping there's a kit out there for a 7pin harness.

It looks like I will be ripping out all of his wiring and starting from scratch to build my own.

Ugh! There's only so many free weekends this year. I hate to have to fill one up with something as silly as trailer wiring.

Don't give up the ghost yet. I had to extend my own trailer harness on my 88 Xj recently because, these vintage Xj's are 5-pin , which, is common among the boat owner community. I purchased a 5-pin connector and wire loom from a local boat dealer and found it did not do the job. My effort to solder in a 4-pin connector had the same wire/functional assignments as the 5-pin connector from the marina but, the marina connector also had unique spacing's between the pins.

Have you tried a simple Google search for 'Cherokee 7-pin towing adapter?' You may want to begin with a general search for 'Cherokee towing harness adapter' and narrow it down from this phrase.

Ultimately, I found many but, it took me a long time of internet searching before I had success.

I've tried some searching but since Jeep released the new Cherokee and they had the old Grand Cherokee badged as simply Cherokee for a while it seems to find harnesses for those jeeps rather than for my 98.

If I add 98 into the search, I get anything and everything related to trailers and jeeps... Not just wiring harnesses.

Maybe I just suck at the internet. Haha

But that's why I figured naxja would be a good goto spot. I hoped someone had sorted through it all before me and might have a retailer or part number handy.

Back