• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electrical Gremlin(s)

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday the family went out for the morning. We loaded up and drove about 2 hours or so, with intermittant stopping and starting, with the first errand we ran I left it idling for about 30mins or so. By the time we were done, we drove back home, shut it down and came inside. We had noticed a slight electrical smell, couldn't find anything outright and left it sit for the rest of the day. Went out this morning, now I have no guages, power locks only unlock, headlights work, stereo(aftermarket) is also dead, interior lights are dead, and the usual key in buzzer chime isn't exactly working, but it starts and runs fine. I tried the self test on the gauge cluster and the lights all work, but no odometer, and no movement on any of the gauges. Fuel pump seems to prime like normal. We have gotten about 6" of rain over the Weds and Thursday time frames. I noticed and know that there is a slight leak of water at the top of the drivers' door close to where it starts down towards the fender. Water was on the armrest of the driver's door, and trace amounts around the switches and controls. Thoughts on where to proceed with what I should be checking?? Fuses appear good, which makes me think a relay might be bad. Opinions or ideas??

Jeff

Strictly your business how you drive but I'm curious why you left it idling for 30 mins, that is, were you concerned about it starting for any reason? Along same lines, you say fuel pump appears to be priming normally which is what you would expect it it starting and running fine?

Someone who is familiar with the '00 per se will chime in but I don't think there is a relay that would control all the electrical components that are out.

I figured it out. There is a 15 amp fuse that was blown that controls most of that stuff, and once replaced, all is well. Thanks for the help. The reason it was running for 30 mins was because my wife was at the vet with our dog, and I thought she was going to be sooner than that. It was also cool out, and I had the kiddos with me, so I chose to run it. Idle time doesn't really hurt these units, as its good for them to run and it cuts down on problems related to constant stopping and starting. It was starting and running fine, the fuel pump and the engine ran without issue, I just had no idea of the engine speed, volts, oil pressure, temp or fuel level, since the fuse that was blown was changed and didn't result in any issues afterwards.

Jeff

Back