• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flashing cel

jeeptj1

NAXJA Forum User
I know this has been beat to death. 2001 xj sport. 210,000 miles. flashing cel comes on sometimes in 70 miles, sometimes in 10 miles. My last repair is going to be new crankshaft sensor before doing something with the old girl. Am I wasting my money on the new sensor. Haven't had it checked at autozone but will today. The engine light has been on for 70,000 miles and never had the flashing light until last couple thousand. Has new plugs and coil pack. Thanks guys

Post the exact code or codes here for comment, not just a description. Anything less is pure guesswork.

A flashing CEL indicates a serious misfire, which if ignored, will trash your catalytic converter

I would DIAGNOSE the code before tossing parts at it....... Could be a simple as bad plug or wire. Could be Crank sensor, could be cam sensor, could be coil, could be ecu. Can get expensive if you start tossing random parts at the problem... just for the real problem to EAT the new parts till you address the real issue.

Check the wire(s) at that fuel injector for worn insulation or bare wire. Not just at the
injector, but all along the length of the fuel injector wire harness.

In my case, there was a worn spot on one of the wires that lead to the #5 injector.
The bare spot was tiny and hardly visible, but it was rubbing against the bracket screw
post that holds the CPS connector to the intake manifold and causing a random short.

A bit of solder and heat shrink tubing solved it (< 3¢ to fix it).

what was the code before it was flashing? I had #5 and random misfire on my 2000 xj classic and turned out to be my cps it would flash and go into limp mode then one day wouldn't start changed with new cps from auto zone and fixed problem.

I don't recall a code. Had the new crankshaft position sensor installed today. I'm kinda done messing with it. If it's starts flashing again, it's going up for sale. 2001 cherokee sport 60th anniversary issue only like 2800 made in silver. 210,000 miles.,lots of new parts. Interior is real clean as is the body. Second owner. Runs great except of course for the flashing check engine light., I know this should be in the for sale section. Don't have a clue what I should ask. Maybe I will start a new thread on it. Thanks for all the suggestions.,

So I get the car back after the new CPS is put in and am driving it home and baaammm, the check gauges light comes on and the amp gauge buries itself to 19. I have never ever had trouble with the gauges before the Cps was put in.. Coincidence or sabotage!! . Lol it never ends.

Amp gauge? I think you mean volt gauge.
Sounds like the alternator is fully grounded.
I'd call the shop & have them fix whatever they (probably) screwed up. Could be coincidence but I wouldn't bet on it.
Also...
sell the car, or do whatever you want, but you really should just pay a qualified mechanic to find the cause of the CEL & fix it if you don't feel like doing it yourself (which, it seems, you don't). It isn't there for "no reason", dude - you can damage things by driving when the system isn't working right.

Yep sorry, voltage gauge. These were supposed to be mr good wrench guys. It's been a good horse but it's time to go. Anybody know of a nice grand cherokee 2005 to 2010 in illinois with as low a miles as can be let me know.,gotta go my frozen pizzas ready.

Back