• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Towing XJ behind an RV - Tow Harness?

spinaldex

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to tow my XJ behind my RV for the first time on Memorial Weekend. I'm trying to decide if I just want to toss magnet lights on it, or actually tie the trailer plug from the RV in to the lights on the XJ. Anyone know of a harness kit for this that makes it easy if I wanted to go that route?

So are you flat towing? I really prefer a tow dolly with brakes. Here in Colorado, not having brakes on a towed vehicle in the mountains is just asking for trouble.

I used mag lights for the first year or so that I towed our XJ. Used a 7 round to 4 flat adapter to plug them into the RV trailer connector.

For the next year I mounted an extra bulb in the taillight assembly of the XJ and ran wires to the front of the Jeep and mounted a connector. I use a harness to connect that connector to the RV trailer plug.

The built in lights are obviously quicker and easier to use, although the magnetic lights weren't bad.

Connecting a harness up to use the actual Jeep taillights is a bit more difficult and problematic. You will need heavy duty diodes to prevent current feedback into the Jeeps electrical system. There is no XJ specific kit that I know of. Roadmaster has the parts and generic, non-model specific instructions. Personally I felt that it was easier to mount an extra bulb socket into the taillight assembly, compared to tapping into the wiring with the potential of damage to the electrical system if I made a wiring error. YMMV

I also use magnet mount lights on the roof. Ive towed over 10K miles all over the midwest. I would prefer wired into the stock lights but the motor home has standard tail/turn/brake lights unlike the XJ.

We have pulled our XJ for over 50,000 miles, over the last ten years behind our 24' Class C RV.
It has a Roadmaster base plate and tow bar and a SMI braking system that is activated by the RV under heavy braking needs.
http://www.smibrake.com/stay-in-play-duo.html
Most states require brakes on any towed vehicle over 1500-lbs. In the Ford E450 owner's manual, it states the same requirement. On long, steep downgrades, it's reassuring to have the extra braking power. 18,000-lbs is too much weight to lose control of.

I added a second set of tail lights sockets and bulbs to the XJ's tail lights and wired them through a 7-pin plug that also has the brake control wires and a hot 12-volt supply wire, from the RV, to power the XJ's auxiliary braking system, keeping the XJ's battery charged.
You can also use diodes to utilize the stock tail lights for towing lights but there is a slight voltage reduction and slightly dimmer tail lights.

I've been flat towing our 97 behind a 38' class A with no issues for a couple of years. When I made my front bumper I had the toe bar mounts incorprratrd into the front to double as recovery points. I also drilled a 1/2" hole in the stock tail light assembly's and added a seperate 1157 led bulb then ran the wording through the interior and out into the engine compartment. The plug and excess wire rolls up and tucks in front of the battery. When I go to tow I drop the plug down through the access hole next to the battery and wrap around the tow bar. Keeps the system seprrate and independent of the OEM system.
after having diodes burn out in another tow car and knowing the kind of use the XJ gets I opted for a more simpler system b

Back