• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to jump bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ

bradleyheathhays

NAXJA Forum User
I believe there are 2 ways to bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ.

The first would be to bridge the gap between the two electrodes on the starter motor from underneath.

The second I believe is to unhook one of the electrical harnesses in that cluster of 4 or so somewhere around the trans fluid dip stick and bridge the circuit using maybe just a small wire. I've seen possibly a graphic of this somewhere before but can't find it now.

Can someone please explain how this is done at the electrical harness?

Thanks

I believe there are 2 ways to bypass the NSS on a '96 XJ.

The first would be to bridge the gap between the two electrodes on the starter motor from underneath.

That will crank your engine and also give you a whole new understanding of the welding process.

The second I believe is to unhook one of the electrical harnesses in that cluster of 4 or so somewhere around the trans fluid dip stick and bridge the circuit using maybe just a small wire. I've seen possibly a graphic of this somewhere before but can't find it now.

That idea is also very dangerous, since it will give you the ability to start the engine in any gear.

Can someone please explain how this is done at the electrical harness?

Just an overall bad idea if not needed for a specific application.

Thanks

Yeah I agree. Cleaned my NSS out like a year ago and it seems to be acting up again. I'm pretty much just gonna use the circuit bridge bypass thing to diagnose and then to get by until I can put a new one on.

the description for the connector bridge is online at several places. Its good knowledge to have since you never know when an NSS issue might strike and it will help you get home to fix it.

IMO jumping the NSS is entirely a temporary fix to get home as said. Cleaning and adjusting the entire module is a much better idea, it's free, but may require some swearing and knuckle busting. Go slow, don't wank on the NSS itself...the backside is plastic and can be quite brittle. Then you're out some $$ to replace otr get it fixed correctly.

Last edited:
Back