• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear bumper or just a hitch?

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
I can't decide...

I like the idea of just a hitch because its cheap and light.

I like the idea of a whole new bumper because it looks better, its more capable, more armor and I can attach D rings to it. I don't like the cost or the weight of it though.

What should I do?

Good hitch for now with a d ring on the hitch then later maybe make a rear bumper specially if you ever cut and folded rear quarters.

Depends how you use your XJ.

Mostly DD with a few mild Off-Road adventures, I'd grab a class III hitch and throw it on.
You give up a bit of departure angle, but you know when you land on it that nothing else is bent.

If you are seriously concerned about departure angle, then I would look into a new bumper. By that point, it wouldn't be a bad idea to loose the rear lowers as Cburb mentioned.

JCR makes very good bumpers with the option of throwing that darn spare on a carrier :)

-Ron

This was/is the problem I'm going through.. I need a bumper that ties in good because I plan on towing a small trailer for lawn mowing(48" walk behind, backpack blower, weedwacker) .

Mine is a DD/weekend toy... my fear is getting out on a trail and wishing I would have done a cut and fold bumper.. I think I'll just get a hitch for now and am leaning toward a Curt one unless anyone has another suggestion...

for the price of rear bumpers these days, id buy a welder and some steel, it make a decent first progect

I run a hitch and the plan is to run a single tube around the rear then braced to the hitch. Factor is cheap and simple. Yes my rear is cut and folded.

Last edited:
Not Cheap But Good

Well FWIW, I really like my JCR rear bumper that has the hitch built in; it brings your rear approach angle up quite a bit, and is rated for what the XJ can tow.

Only "con" is that JCR is not so cheap - it IS worth the money though.

XE-XJ-rr.jpg

LOL my rig was so clean right there! Hey I did not have the rear quarter armor on yet here either, it ties the bumper to the body nicely.

I'm in the same boat as you. I've read a few bumper builds and it doesn't seem that hard to fab a bumper with a receiver. I plan on picking up metal this next week and knocking it out on Saturday. Just slide a couple 2x4s in the frame slots, and put a nice thick crossmember with a receiver in it and you are done. You can always add to it at any time. I just did the cut And fold and will put support underneath it eventually from the rear bumper. I say just go for it!

Back