• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken locks on Electrical Connectors

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Disassembling some electrical connectors. Hate working on these newer vehicles as it's so hard to get to various parts. Latest problem I'm having is that some of the locking tabs on the electrical connectors break off while trying to disassemble the connector. This seems to happen no matter how careful I am. It seems like the plastic has become brittle from heat or age. Wondering what you do if the locking tab breaks off. Do you splice in a new connector, use it just the way it is, or improvise a way to keep it together, such as a zip tie? By the way this is a 2000 with the 4.0L engine.
Thanks for the help,
Bill

I often use a piece of duct tape and double over a small piece of the end and stick the tape together to make kind of a nonstick tab, dis-assembly at some later date is much easier this way. If you wipe down the outside of the connector with a little brake cleaner, the tape is usually on there to stay for a good long while.

I also found some really thin zip ties that work well in those spots where the connector hangs out in the weather.

What gets me on many models, is the connectors are a mixed bag and not uniform. The locking tabs on many are different from connector to connector and each has a trick or technique for getting it apart without damaging anything. It seems most every connector is it's own little puzzle to solve individually, at least the first time. I call stuff like this, poor engineering.

as said above, friction is usually enough to keep most together. Small zip tie or twisty tie for the others.

Back