• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My AW4 Puked a Strawberry Milkshake.

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
So - Does this mean it fragged or am I looking at something else? This is on a parts vehicle I've been tinkering with trying to get it running, started smoking after driving home from getting it tagged at 55-65 mph. All Stock. 1988 Laredo.

Throw a new radiator at it and a aux cooler. Flush it all out and hope for the best. I doubt you killed an aw4 mine is soldiering on after being ran dry to the point it literally wouldn't move. Twice.

This is just my thoughts I may be wrong.

Put some of the 'milkshake' in a jar and see if it separates into ATF and antifreeze, Sure sound like the transmission's oil cooler, located inside the radiator, has rotted through.
A couple complete ATF flushes, done using the external cooler's output line, would be my first move after replacing the radiator.
Search for 'transmission flush' or 'poor man flush' for details.
AW4s are tough, you might get lucky with flushing. The sooner you do it, the better.

You might also want to clean and flush the cooling system too, if it shows signs of oil contamination.

problem with antifreeze or water in the trans is that the fiber clutches will disintegrate when exposed to water.

My friend went through this. Had to swap the trans.

so --- I found out the dipstick tube was separated from the pan, the PO broke it the ground it down to fit and attached it with rtv.

I'm going to the junk yard some time here soon to pick up a transmission pan, set of solenoids, dip stick and maybe a new radiator from oreilys.

wish me luck.

worse case scenario, I've got a trans from a '92 - would that be a direct swap?

92 would have 23-spline output, so a matching t-case is necessary.
Other than that swapping sensors, plug n pray.

Back