• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

RE9900 Drop brackets

dave92cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Recently lifted the front of the cheromanche and all went well. I've got Rough Country 5.5" coils, RE adjustable track bar with mount, and RE9900 drop brackets without the braces (as this will be street only truck). Went through got everything installed and tightened down, bounced the front end up and down and sideways to get it to naturally center over the axle before connecting the track bar. While bouncing it up and down I could hear a distinctive clunk from the front suspension. Upon further inspection I notice the upper control arms(stock) in the drop brackets are moving around on the supplied 10mm bolt. While putting everything together I checked the bolts and noticed that the supplied 10MM bolts were just a little to small for the stock control arms as it would allow the bolt to move around inside. My question is has anyone with these drop brackets run into this before and just gotten a bigger bolt that fit correctly or what did you do to fix the problem?

I'm running RE dropped brackets. Sound like something is out of alignment if the 10mm bolts will not tighten enough to lock the UCAs in place.
Had to add a washer on the inside of each bracket to get the UCAs to tighten without bending the bracket.
That was about 100,000 miles ago. All has been fine since.

Since you have a Cherokee front end, the braces are a structural part of the RE drop bracket package, no matter if it is street driven or off road only.
RE recommends running the braces, mentioning this and including them in their online installation PFD. Wonder if they know something we don't?
You risk damage not running them, there is a deep pothole out there waiting to tweak your XJ's front end.

Back