• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nasty spring eye bolts

Truckedup

NAXJA Forum User
Put new rear springs in my 99 XJ...Spring eye bolts were as usual, hard to remove. Got the left side, but the right side bushing inner sleeve was seized on the bolt.You know, turn the bolt and the hanger starts to spread.
Probably others have done this , I used a angle grinder with cut off disc to cut the spring eye in half. Then used same tool to cut the rubber bushing, yes , a bit of smoke......Then a small chisel to spread the inner sleeve seam, the bolt came right out. About 15 minutes and no damage to the bolt of spring hanger.

13490035753_6d5df1649b_z.jpg

If the leaf springs are not going to be reused, this is the preferred method for removal. Once the forward spring eye is out of the way, you can apply heat and penetrating oil directly to the bolt threads and the weld nut inside the body.

Penetrating oil? I've tried them all including Kroil ,useless in my opinion. I used PB Blaster this time just because I found a can, several applications on the eye bolt, shackles and U bolts. All bolts and nuts came loose with no heat and all threads were dry...No penetrating oil seeped into the threads.

If the bushing sleeve is seized to the bolt, no amount of impact HP will remove it. Once everything is out of the way, penetrating oil will penetrate, and heat will loosing things instead of just making stinky bushing fumes.

Back