• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.0 - No Cranky

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so this is going to be worded by my wife.... so bare with me ! :)

So my wife was driving her 93 XJ 4.0 home and she said that when she went to get off the highway, she went to hit the gas and nothing...she also said that he felt like her steering stopped working, like it was hard to steer.....It has a new (probably 6 mo. old) Power steering pump. She pulled it over and tried tos tart it again and it would crank but no start....she is going to get it towed back to the house and when I get home, I guess I will dive into it and see what is going on.

Crank position sensor? When you get home...put key in ignition...turn key on off on and count the blinks of the engine light. Google trouble codes and go from there.

ETA:Maybe change title of thread to crank no start?:)

Ok. Key trick is not working for me. Not sure why. I've read you do it 3 times then I've read you do it 6 times. I cannot get the light to flash at all.

Gonna head up to napa in the morning and pick up a fuel pump relay and see if that helps at all.

Crank, no start is usually a ckp issue. When you turn key to on position does the fuel pump prime? If so, most likely relay is not the issue.

Find your schrader valve on the fuel rail and push in the valve a little, make sure you are getting fuel pressure.
You say you aren't hearing the fuel pump whine... bad sign there. I'd check for power & ground at the fuel pump connector first & work my way back to the relay. A good trick for quickly testing a relay is to swap one in from a system you know works. If that fixes the problem (or part of it), then you know the relay is bad.

Well, read the pinout and jumper power from supply to pump & see if that does the trick. If so, the problem is in the circuit leading up to the relay. If not, it's downstream of the relay.

Back