• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size/type question. Please help!

ye ol' cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Ill try to keep it short and to the point... but please give any input. The uncertainty of this is driving me nuts

1998 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) Sport, 4.0, AW4, 150,000 miles, bone stock 100%

I just finished all the steering/suspension work which was causing my death wobble. My next step is an alignment and new tires, but here is my issue...

Guy i bought it from put tires on from another jeep. They are matching Michelin LTX m/s tires - really good tires. Problem is, the treads are all different. Front 2 are shot, I will be replacing those no matter what. Back two are almost brand new, with minimal wear. (The one rear had a nail in the tread, but that has been patched).

I was just going to get two brand new tires for the front, and leave the ones on the back, but some people say not to mix brands, because they are different even thought they are the same size, and all other reasons... It just makes me sick to just throw away the back two - nearly new top of the line tires just so the rest can match. SOO what should I do?? 1.) Buy two new ones for the front... or 2.) just suck it up and replace all four, with a not as good, but still decent set of tire.

TIRE BRAND QUESTION: my price range is roughly $100 per tire, more or less. The ones I REALLY want are the Firestone Destination LE2 - best reviews, everyone raves about them... but I really want to be able to get a tire that amazon offers, because then I could just put it on my Amazon credit card.

Their offerings which apply to my price range are 1.) General AltiMAX RT All-Season Tire, 2.)Cooper Cobra GT All-Season Tire, 3.)Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tire

Are any of these three tires as good as, or better, than the firestone destination LE2?

Don't worry about mixing brands front to rear, as
long as the rolling diameter is the same on both
axles.

I can't answer your other question; have no experience
with those brands. I do have a set of Michelin LTX on
an Explorer, and they are great tires.

I wouldn't bother with any of the tires that are on your buy list.
What tire size specifically?
To save yourself a bit of money, buy a matching pair of tires.. or maybe a 3rd to have a matching spare.

Don't worry about mixing tires; you only need to ensure the tires you are mixing are the same circumference. There can be a pretty big difference amongst the brands/models for a given tire size. Too big a difference would mean your axles can bind or even shear.

The circumference is critical I would make sure there is not more than 1 inch in size difference or it can be trouble
I like general grabber at2 got on my waggy love em

Back