• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

LA block 360 swap? is it possible?

oldcancer

NAXJA Forum User
i've been quite curious as of late, i've seen a few youtube videos of chrysler 318 swapped xj's, and the thought came to me that if a 318 can be stuffed in one of these things, and a 360 is basically a 318 with a different bore and stroke.

so theoretically it should be almost exactly the same size (or at least that is the case with an LA block), which is where the question comes into play.

being that the only chrysler V8 swaps i've seen are magnum blocks, is there a significant size difference between the magnum and LA blocks that would not allow an LA block to fit in our xj's? or is it possible that maybe with a magnum head conversion one might still be able to stuff an LA block 360 into an xj?

(take into account that i'd even be willing to eliminate, or modify inner fenders for such a thing)

EDIT: did a search as well, couldn't find anything other than the more common LS or 350 swaps

There is a reason people do LS/350/Chevy swaps: Parts are cheap, and the aftermarket provides a lot of bolt on solutions.

Magnum 360s came in ZJs/Rams/Dakotas so they're more than plentiful in junkyards in 4x4 vehicles so you can take the whole drivetrain and have fuel injection as well. Not much of a point for most people to use an LA 360 unless they have one built.

I don't see an issue with using an LA 360, but keep in mind everything else that goes with the swap i.e. trans/t-case swap, any wiring, fuel injection, hood clearance issues, cooling issues, fuel issues, etc.

I used a 440 because I could build one on the cheap with my uncle. Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

good to know, seems i may be able to find a use for one of the spare LA blocks in the garage after all, thanks

EDIT: plus i'm not sure i can resist the temptation to say i've got an LA block 383 stroker in my xj

Last edited:
A Magnum 5.9 should work equally as well as a 318 or 5.2 as far as swapping it in.
If you've got one in the garage already then why not?
It's at least as much work as an LS swap, I'd think, but hey what the hell.

And you get to keep it all Mopar! :cheers::party::clap::yelclap:party1::greensmok

Back