• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 XJ Automatic not shifting in Drive

karmafox

NAXJA Forum User
I had been noticing intermittent transmission "slips" at red lights after the car had warmed up. I would accelerate and the revs would climb, but the car would labor to get moving.

Last week I was driving on the interstate and lost all power. Revs shot up, but car would not move forward. I had to call a tow truck and get it towed to a transmission shop.

After doing some reading, it sounds like the TPS is a likely culprit. Hoping to get some second opinions.

I just had some similar issues with a 96 I recently bought. To rule out a mechanical transmission issue, unplug the TCM. It is located behind the plastic valence, below the glove box on passenger side. Once unplugged, you should be able to use shifter to shift like an "auto stick". 1-2 will give you first gear, 3 will be third, and D will be forth. As long as that works OK, trans should be OK mechanical, and points to an electrical issue like TPS, or TCM. I got a TCM from a local JY, and cured my shifting issues. I started with that because as far as running/idling, everything was fine, so I thought TPS was OK. That will give you a starting point. Good luck!

I would accelerate and the revs would climb, but the car would labor to get moving.

Last week I was driving on the interstate and lost all power. Revs shot up, but car would not move forward. .

Sounds more like you're very low on fluid OR your torque converter is having issues.

Could be a number of things... what Paradise said, plus could be a bad input pump.

Check your fluid level, fill up if necessary, regular dex/merc.

If that doesn't fix it, try what jb98xj said. You will have 1st in 1-2, 3rd in 3, OD in D, with no torque converter lockup. If it goes fine that way, you have an electrical issue, otherwise, it's mechanical/hydraulic.

Back