• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

renix stock air box mod ( i have a few questions )

MUKAK714

NAXJA Forum User
i am trying to enlarge the ait inlet on the stock 89 airbox

can some1 tell me if the hose that runs from the header and a round looking sensor that has vacuum hose that runs to the back of the airbox could be eliminated?

For where you live, the answer would be yes. It is for cold wet climates and is to prevent what was called carb icing. It still happens but we don't run carbs anymore. You routinely cut it off if you are going to install a snorkel.

ok perfect!! so i can just remove the preheater hose and cut off that valve door and the round sensor that has a vacuum line running to the back of the air box? and plug the vacuum line in the back when done?

as long as it's not the EGR valve, and the smog guy knows what he's looking at and doesn't just assume you bypassed the EGR, then yes.

ok perfect!! so i can just remove the preheater hose and cut off that valve door and the round sensor that has a vacuum line running to the back of the air box? and plug the vacuum line in the back when done?

NOT SURE IF THE SMOG RULES ARE DIFFERENT IN YOUR AREA, BUT IN MY AREA YOU CAN'T PASS SMOG WITHOUT THE PREHEATER HOSE OR THE THERMAL SENSOR ON THE BACK OF THE AIRBOX.
(SORRY FOR CAPS, I HAVE A PROGRAM RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND THAT REQUIRES CAPLOCK ON)

Last edited:
Yes. I have been dinged for not having that hose. Useles in our climate in so cal but it's in their checklist so you can fail for not having it

Back