• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Timing Cover/Discrepancy in FSM

sgtpeeper

NAXJA Forum User
1997 XJ 4.0

I pulled my harmonic balancer this weekend to replace it and decided to do the front crank seal while there... big mistake on the seal. I had to pull the timing cover. After prying, hammering, and torching, the seal has not moved one bit. I need something fast and I'm thinking of trying the Dorman timing cover.

I am confused on a couple of things. First, the RTV that goes at the joint where the timing cover, block, and pan meet. It appears I have RTV UNDER the factory one-piece gasket, at that joint. It's supposed to be a 1/8 bead on top of the gasket, right? My 1997 FSM does not even mention this under the timing cover or oil pan replacement sections. It does mention it under the section dealing with camshaft bearings (page 9-79). Strangely, page 9-79 is the only place it mentions using gasket sealer on the paper gasket for the timing cover. No mention under the timing cover replacement section. I was going to use Indian Head anyway.

Also, should I use RTV on both sides of the oil pan gasket that is currently sticking out? I'm getting conflicting reports on this. I am going to do the oil pan gasket/rear main in a couple of months when I have vacation time. I do not want to do them now.

If you use RTV on both sides of the gasket, you have a chance of getting it apart again, without seriously screwing anything up. Just be stingy with the RTV a little goes a long way. Most of the trick in using RTV is prep, make sure the area to be sealed is really clean and oil free, don't skimp on cleaning, you can clean it not enough, but can't really clean it to much.

I only use Indian Head or Permatex on things I never plan on taking apart again. Even the non-hardening varieties can sometimes be almost impossible to get back apart again.

Thanks for the reply 8Mud. Just to clarify, are you saying you wouldn't use Indian Head on the timing cover paper gasket, and instead use a thin layer of rtv on both sides of the paper gasket?

I have about decided I am going to use a small bead of black rtv on both sides of the protruding oil pan gasket.

I use gasket sealer on one side of a paper gasket. The side you take off, like the waterpump or tstat housing. Holds the gasket in place, and not that hard to scrape once it's on the bench. Don't glue the block side. Only used rtv without a gasket.

UPDATE: Timing Cover/Discrepancy in FSM

Just thought I'd update this for future searchers. After all of my struggling to get that front crank seal out using a screwdriver, I gave in and bought a seal puller. I got a Lisle with a pivoting head. Took all of a split second to pop the seal out with that. So, lesson reinforced. Use the right tool for the job.

Now that I've got my old timing cover cleaned and ready to go, I can return the Dorman timing cover I ordered. The Dorman cover actually does not look that bad. I would be willing to use it if I had to. I might use a Felpro gasket and seal instead of the no name ones that come with the Dorman. Not sure about that. Oh, and I definitely do not like the "Made in China" painted on the front of the cover. :) That would have to go.

Back