• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring Maintenance

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
1988 4.0 Auto - Lifted on 33's - D30/44 with 4:56 and ected lockers.

It is used by my kids for their high school car, getting it prepped for the third kid (15.5yrs old) to take it over. We wheel it occasionally.

So given that I bought this XJ 7 years ago for $600.00 and I just spend nearly $300.00 in consumables for a spring maintenance run, I thought I would run the plan by the XJ guys for any input. (Sorry if this is a lame post). In the past I was using a quick lube place and only fixing what broke. Now I am hoping to get more hands on with the maintenance, since I want to keep the XJ for myself after this last high school run.

Oil change: Purchased Mobil1 10w40 then realized I used 10w30 last time. Purchased a Bosch filter to replace the Fram (and a filter wrench so that I am not tempted by the Fram grip in the future)

Gear Oil: Purchased Mobil1 75w90 with LS modifier to replace the Royal Purple I have been running. I do have some unopened Royal Purple left, can they be mixed? - I have lube lockers in from last change.

STP air filter to replace the K&N, seems easier to replace than clean and oil (which I never did)

Duralast 4313 wires, copper distributor cap and rotor kit, Champion RCY9C plugs. (Not really sure what I used last time)

Dayco serp belt just as preventative measure

Valvoline Dex/Merc ATF for tranny and transfer case. I THINK I had the econ lube place do this a few years back, but not sure. How much do I need for a drain and fill? - I plan to make this routine with future oil changes.

Prestone plain old power steering fluid. I plan to pump out the reservoir and refill, then make this somewhat more routine.

Thoughts? Comments?

I won't get to the actual work until next weekend or later, I still have time to change my plan/products.

COMMENTS FOLLOW;

Flush coolant.

Cracked windshield, sand blasted, or otherwise not pristine.., get a new one for the best clarity.

Our model years have minimal brakes.., so at the very least make sure, ensure they can stop your kid.

Get better headlights, and be sure to clean/upgrade your grounds.

Check ball joints, and in general all front end components, i.e., in order to prevent "Death Wobble".

Change the brake fluid.

This. If it hasn't been done recently (or ever), change it. Add power steering fluid to that list as well.

edit: I see you already have the PS fluid covered.

Back