• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Portable 12V compressor?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

This really isn't 100% on topic as it doesn't pertain strictly to XJs or Jeeps but I figured if anyone would be up on this stuff it would be you guys. I have a friend who drives an older BMW and as such she changes tires seasonally. She also lives in an apartment building with a parking garage, so no shop air to fill her tires. She's tasked me with the job of putting together all the tools that she needs to change the tires herself. Her car has the factory jack, lug wrench, and wheel chock in the trunk (I sat down when she got the car and ordered all the missing pieces from getbmwparts.com) so that is not ideal but OK for 2x a year use.

What I'm thinking of getting her:

1) 17mm deep socket (acquired)
2) short 1/2" drive extention (probably have one in my junk box)
3) 18" or 24" breaker bar (working on this, looking on eBay and Garage Journal for a nice Snap-On, Williams, etc. for a reasonable price)
4) torque wrench (covered, was going to sell one of mine anyway)
5) Wheel hanger bolt (because BMWs use those irritating lug bolts rather than studs, you screw a long smooth rod into one of the lug holes to make it easier to change the wheel)
6) small container of copper anti-seize for the hub protrusion (anyone who's ever owned or worked on a BMW with alloy wheels will know why)

Now here's where I need advice. My initial thought was to get her one of those Harbor Freight 5 gallon portable air tanks, so when she went to swap tires she could air up the tank at a gas station before starting so she'd have air to inflate the tires she was swapping on so as not to have to drive to a gas station on underinflated tires. However after reflection I thought that perhaps a 12V air compressor might be a better option; no driving required, and combined with a tire plug kit could be part of an emergency road trip kit. But I don't know what's a good one... any ideas?

A little searching gives repeated hits to Viair; model 88p looks like a good budget option, whereas the 450P appears to be the luxury option with a 100% duty cycle. But I have no experience with either of these models, anyone care to chime in? I doubt that she's going to go with OBA on a E46 Bimmer :)

Also, is Black Jack still the good choice for tire plug kits?

This is also somewhat pertinent to my own interests as I drive an E92 which has no spare tire well; I've currently got the factory accessory space saver and tool kit strapped in the trunk, but it takes up a lot of space. Since I (touch wood) haven't had a flat in something like 10 years and I don't like space savers anyway, I'm also thinking of ditching the spare (but keeping the jack and other tools, maybe I can fit those under the trunk floor) and carrying a plug kit and compressor instead to save space and weight. Obviously there's the BMW optional Mobility Kit for the M3, but I bet there's stuff out there that's better quality and without the propellorhead markup.

Last edited:
For 2 times a year why get extra tools to carry to change a tire when you already have them.

I would skip the compressor and the tire plugs, will she even use them? Car has a spare right? If the tires need air after storage something is wrong, if they are a little low you could always fill them with nitrogen

I think your way over thinking this. Keep the spare inflated and make sure she knows how to change a tire.

For 2 times a year why get extra tools to carry to change a tire when you already have them.

I would skip the compressor and the tire plugs, will she even use them? Car has a spare right? If the tires need air after storage something is wrong, if they are a little low you could always fill them with nitrogen

I think your way over thinking this. Keep the spare inflated and make sure she knows how to change a tire.

Well, *I* have the tools, she does not... and if I'm not around, what's she going to do? The stock BMW lug wrench *I* can use to change a tire, but if the last time the lugs were run on was by some idiot at a gas station with an impact gun (we all know it happens) and not torqued to spec, I'm sure she'll appreciate the breaker bar as the stock lug wrench is only something like a foot long. In fact I suggested that she carry the breaker bar and socket in the spare tire well, wrapped in a towel, just in case she runs into that scenario (or has to help someone else change a tire who has had their vehicle serviced by morons.)

As to the compressor/plug kit, I thought about that, not sure how to show someone how to plug a tire without deliberately driving a screw in one, and I just got brand new tires on the Heep... I doubt she'd find it amusing if I put one in one of her tires either. Yes, her car has a full sized spare, unlike the E9x series. Sometimes I think BMW peaked with the E46 and it's been downhill since... but anyway this is also pertinent to my interests as I'm considering ditching my own space saver, if I can find a compressor that weighs the same or less than my space saver spare and takes up less trunk space, that would be a viable option for me and more practical (unless I gash a sidewall or something.) If it'd also be useful for airing down/up Heep tires, so much icing.

But anyway I just put my own summer tires on today, my summer set was at 31/36 PSI front/rear after sitting since November; spec is 36/41 PSI for my car, so this is somewhat of a concern. I have a compressor and portable air tank at the house, but again, she's in an apartment building that doesn't even have power in the parking garage. Last time I helped her change tires, I brought my portable tank pre-filled, and I don't mind helping, but I'd also like her to be able to do the job start to finish if I'm not around for some reason.

Oatmeal, that looks like a nice unit, but I doubt she'd really want a 35 lb. compressor taking up half her trunk space (was thinking would make a good ride along tool as well) that's why I was looking at the Viair units, they don't appear in pictures to be that much bigger than the cheapo plastic deals that you see in Wally World etc.

Hi Ben,

I was obsessive compulsively reading up on these last night, it appears that a few years ago that was the go-to because it was sold in stores for $25-30, and everyone was suspecting that it was made in the same factory as the smaller Viair units... now it's within $10 of the Viair 88p :( Some personal experience does help though.

I talked to her last night and suggested a compressor in general without talking specifics, sounds like she might already have one that her dad got her, I told her to get it out and make sure it worked, that might solve that problem rather easily.

the quality of those mv-50's is pretty bad. I have personally seen three in the last few months that abruptly stopped running(locked up....shorted..not sure) after only a couple/few uses. I guess they used to be ok, from what I've heard.
the 88p is a decent little compressor, just pretty slow to fill a tire. probably ok if it's just a passenger car with smallish tires.

Back