• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ring on collar of Dana 30 outer stub shaft

ihscoutlover

NAXJA Forum User
I just got done replacing the passenger side axle shaft u-joint. Of course in getting the old one out, I mashed up this ring or collar thing on the outer shaft. Is it really needed?? If so, where is it sourced?? That stub shaft doesn't seem to need it as it uses the rest of the face of the shaft to hold it against the wheel bearing assembly. Thoughts?? I'll attach some pictures of what I'm talking about.

Jeff

its just the dust sheild, i have run without them plenty and with them plenty, try quadratec or you local part stores if you really feel the need to install a new one, if you do alot of mud then i would suggest leaving it off as it can trap mud against the seal for the bearings

I used pliers and a smaller hammer to bend back into shape. I managed to get them pretty straight. Slow, minor bends will get it close to normal.
But as said before, only a dust shield.

I just smash em off if I bend them at all, honestly. Never had a problem.

While you're at it, you can dispose of the dust shield for the brake rotor that gets sandwiched behind the unit bearing. No need for that, and it's thin enough to simply discard, no need to space the bearing out.

Back