• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What axle is this?

KRG.FAB

NAXJA Forum User
I've looked at the axle ID charts and pictures and can't seem to find one that matches this. It's off of a 97 Grand Cherokee but looks nothing like a 35, 44 or 8.25.
gevuvy9a.jpg
epena6e6.jpg

yep, D44a, aluminum housing, known for warping and cracking (there was even an TSB at one point about where to place a jack under the axle to keep from warping it when changing a tire :shocked:)

I love my 44a.. Double Trussed with Alloys/spartan/4.56s.. Never had an issue under 2 different rigs on 35s now..

It's the HPD30 I regret.. 10 sets of shafts, 3 ring and pinions.. etc etc etc

This pic is from last night.. Thats a HP dana 30 4340 Shaft and a Broken Ring and pinion

WITH THAT SAID..Unless you got a semi-built 44a Cheap, An 8.8 is a far better option to search for in an XJ... 44a has very little aftermarket support (2 diff covers, 1 lunchbox locker etc) and needs to be trussed, the 8.8 has an abundance of aftermarket to choose from..But you still need to weld the tubes to the Differential to prevent them from twisting
(This is not meant to be a rant, Just my $0.02 to add from someone that actually has experience with the D44a axle if this comes up later in a search)

Last edited:
X2 on what Scott said... can you build em to handle stuff? Yeah. Should you? Nah, start with something better and just as common, the 8.8 you were talking about in the NWC thread.

8.8s come with 3.55s, 3.73s, and 4.10s from the junkyard, too. iirc D44a only comes in one flavor, 3.73, because it was only installed from the factory behind V8s in ZJs.

Back