• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30hp carrier bearing bolts

I'm fairly sure it's a 3/8 coarse grade 8, I want to say 3" long but that's based on memory from last time I pulled one apart (didn't measure...)

Why?

1/2"-13, use a proper SAE8 (not Chinese crap - US, Germany, England, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Eastern Europe - just not China!)

I don't recall the lengths, but you can either measure the underhead length of a screw in hand (if you didn't lose them all,) or measure the thickness of the cap boss (that the screw passes through) and add 1/2". If it's between sizes, get the next size longer - you'll be adding a few sixteenths, tops.

Proper socket head capscrews are H&T to SAE8 specs UOS, FYI.

(H&T - Hardened & Tempered. UOS - Unless Otherwise Specified.)

Spicer specs it out as 7/16-14 2 1/2" grade 8

Check out the brains on this guy :)
Nice find.
I'm with 5-90 on bolt quality.
If you want to learn more than you'd ever thought there was to know about hardware, look up Carrol Smith's Nuts, Bolts & Fasteners book. The gist of it: "better than grade 8" bolts are garbage, "grade 8" is suspect because of poor quality control, Mil-Spec & Aircraft bolts are the best you can get. Probably better than necessary for this application, really.

AN spec hardware is roughly equivalent to grade 8, slightly stronger but not by much.

The only difference is that it's made by people who are assuming you are putting it in an important part of an airplane, and you can get certificates/paperwork for each lot that says who made it and when it was made, so it's less likely to be lowest-bidder chinesium.

That being said, I've never had an issue with grade 8 bolts.

Back