• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to reinstall rear axle shafts

MUKAK714

NAXJA Forum User
have my rear D44 in the garage, got bored last nite and pulled the axles out to see how the bearings look and to clean the tubes out ( and good thing i did, one of the tubes had buncha junk in it from the little diff vent hole being left open ) , now my question is how do i reinstall them? do i need to apply RTV and where? and what kind of grease for the bearing?

also it says 46 13 on the gear and i also counted the teeth and came up to 46 on the gear and 13 on the pinion does this mean 3.55?

sorry i am a noob and have questions

thanks

Installation is the reverse of removal:D

No RTV necessary, there's a seal in between the bearing and the flange. Unlike a D30, the shaft bearings are lubricated internally from the oil in the diff that flows into the tubes.

Yes, 46/13= ~3.55 ratio

Installation is the reverse of removal:D

No RTV necessary, there's a seal in between the bearing and the flange. Unlike a D30, the shaft bearings are lubricated internally from the oil in the diff that flows into the tubes.

Yes, 46/13= ~3.55 ratio

the reason i asked if i need RTV is becasue when i pulled the axles out there was RTV near the bearing on the drum end... i cleaned it up and now wondering if rtv needed for reinstall...

and also do i need to be carefull when i slide the axle in?

Someone may have smeared RTV on there to stop a leak from the tube, but it had been my experience that the leak is from the axle shaft seal and not the tube(o/s) seal area.

Back