• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

136 amp Alt in a 99 XJ

Hillbilly XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought this recent rebuilt Jeep alt not for sure what it came off of. But I think there are some mods that need to be done on my 99. It has the oval oblong single connector on it and a pulley mounted the seller said the pulley could be used if the belt was mounted to the rear of it.

Can someone advise or point me to a link where it has been done with some photos. I do not have my XJ here right now to even check the connector. It is out of town in a the shop for major upgrades.

Thanks,

I'm going to guess its off a grand Cherokee... The pulley is wider (has more grooves in it for a wider belt). You can run your normal XJ belt with it, but it won't cover the whole width of the pulley. I've been running mine that way for a few years now.

As for the connector issue, I can't remember the exact solution for you because I bought mine to have the same connector as my 98XJ but I do remember reading about it.

I'm going to guess its off a grand Cherokee... The pulley is wider (has more grooves in it for a wider belt). You can run your normal XJ belt with it, but it won't cover the whole width of the pulley. I've been running mine that way for a few years now.

As for the connector issue, I can't remember the exact solution for you because I bought mine to have the same connector as my 98XJ but I do remember reading about it.
correct, you just bias the belt to the rear of the pulley, as its 7 groove instead of 6 like our cherokees. or you could install your pulley, i did.

and x2 on getting one with the right connector. made it easy for me.

Isn't there a clearance issue with the new alt somewhere for the 99's??

Yeah there was a small clearance issue on the mounting bracket itself. I just removed the bracket and removed material from it until it fit. It was pretty straightforward really.

The frame is about 1/2" larger in diameter, so you have to grind about 1/4" of material off of the mounting area of the bracketry to make room (do not grind the alternator itself.)

The connector is a straight replacement - just instead of using the two M4 studs, you're using two 1/4" spade lugs. Reterminate the wiring, extend as needed.

And VA&c is correct - you should upgrade your wiring, because chances are good you are installing the higher-output alternator because you expect to need it (and the OEM wiring doesn't really take that into account - OEMs are notoriously cheap.) Hit me backchannel if you want to know more.

5-90 i have your 4awg kit in my 00 xj (just parts 1-5)

I think part 6 that you sell is for the upgraded amperage alternator correct?

Will the 4awg part 6 work with the 136a alt?

What exactly is part 6?

I picked up an ANL fuse block, and 4 extra 150A ANL fuses yesterday. Where excatly does the cable run before and after the fuse block?

And almost all of the links on your website are a "404 page not found"

i don't know if this matters or not to what you have but some xjs came with a 136 amp alt stock. I know mine did a 98 sport unsure why but it did

What exactly is part 6?

I picked up an ANL fuse block, and 4 extra 150A ANL fuses yesterday. Where excatly does the cable run before and after the fuse block?

And almost all of the links on your website are a "404 page not found"

"Part Six" is the alternator's output cable - it runs from the alternator to the ANL fuse block. Then, a cable runs from the other side of the fuse block to the power distribution setup (B+ post or ANL stud.)

And, I am aware of the internal links on the site being NF - hopefully, I'll finally have a chance to fix that soon (I should be getting some coding one - finally! - on the plane to New Zealand next month. Invited trip - some mates from 'way back clubbed together and got me a ticket.)

I have the PDC with the two 6mm studs. So it has the two 60A Maxi fuses. The alternator side of the Maxi fuses connects to the alternator through some ~8 AWG wire in the factory harness. Does the other side of the Maxi fuse connect to the busbar with the two 6mm studs?

I was planning on upgrading my alternator later this year but it took a dump today, so here I am. I picked up a unit for a 98 ZJ 5.8, 136amp, to replace my 90 amp out of my 96 XJ.

I know I have to replace the fusible link with a 175 or higher ANL fuse, but how. The green wire that I'm assuming is the fusible link disappears into the wiring harness under the PDC. Am I suppose to take the little black box at the alternator apart to separate the link? What point on the alternator to I need to wire the ANL to, and where does the other end of the ANL connect to the PDC. I have 10 tabs open right now and all only show before and after pics, none show how.

I was planning on upgrading my alternator later this year but it took a dump today, so here I am. I picked up a unit for a 98 ZJ 5.8, 136amp, to replace my 90 amp out of my 96 XJ.

I know I have to replace the fusible link with a 175 or higher ANL fuse, but how. The green wire that I'm assuming is the fusible link disappears into the wiring harness under the PDC. Am I suppose to take the little black box at the alternator apart to separate the link? What point on the alternator to I need to wire the ANL to, and where does the other end of the ANL connect to the PDC. I have 10 tabs open right now and all only show before and after pics, none show how.

I just used 5-90's kit for my upgrade his kits are great and he is a member here.

Thanks for the feedback. I got a remanufactured unit from Auto Zone. Hooked the whole thing up with out the ANL, because no parts stores on this side of town have anything to put the ANL in. Fired it up and, nothing! Spent the entire morning trying to trouble shoot only to find out the remanufactured unit wasn't putting out anything.

Could I have caused this by not running the ANL?
progress.gif

Back