• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WJ swap calipers with 15 Rims.

Cburb88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
So ive read a little about people making a few different types of calipers work with the wj swap and 15 steel rims, both 3.75 and 4.00 BS. I have 15 cragars 4.00 bs and really do not want new rims at all. I will do anything to make these work. Ive heard of people shaving down the tie rods and sometimes the calipers. Im curious if anyone has experience with this and how much material there is, so i know its pretty safe to shave off a little bit from these calipers. Not sure what calipers these are but in the pics you can see what i mean. rim starts to hit where the calipers are pointed up top. Hopefully someone thats already done this will chime in, thanks.

Based on your statement, better get to grinding on the calipers to create some clearance. Not the ideal solution, but one that will let you keep your 15" wheels........

I ground my calipers smooth. That was all that I needed to run my 15" wheels in that regard. The tie rod end clearance with the off set ones I was using caused me to buy wheel spacers. Normal tie rod ends work fine. My wheels are aluminum as well

Alright yea i really would like to just grind them down some, need to figure out how thick the material is. having to buy all new rims and tires again is not an option. Id most likely be out of driving it for a while if that were the case.

Swap to Akebono Calipers.. I've had 3.75" back space steel wheels, and now 3.25" Aluminum wheels.. No problem with either..

I assume those are the better one with better clearance then...were these on all the later wjs? like 03 to.... im not sure but i think that started in 03? if thats the case i should be able to get that style caliper at napa or rockauto or anything correct? thanks.

I ground the hell out famine to clear 15s

That's what I'm going to try. Looks like a lot of material there.

Wheel spacers, as some said may be necessary.

I assume those are the better one with better clearance then...were these on all the later wjs? like 03 to.... im not sure but i think that started in 03? if thats the case i should be able to get that style caliper at napa or rockauto or anything correct? thanks.
Yes, Get new Calipers, Brackets, and Pads..

The style you have was Problematic with Warped rotors, that's why they switched to the 03/04 Akebono's

They bolt right on with no modification, and you SHOULD be able to fit your wheels.. *I cant guarantee that* but I'd much rather Upgrade the problem instead of bandaiding it with Wheel spacers

I'll try to grind these to work. Im not trying to spend most likely another 200 bucks specially having new ceramic pads for the teves.

Back