• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sound under certain conditions...

Rebby529

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys n gals, new to the forum but have had an XJ and nothing but since I was 19. My technical knowledge is limited however. Can't believe I never heard of this!

So just purchased a '99 2DR sport, 5 speed. 130k on the clock. The day I bought it, there were naturally no unknowns.

Well the honeymoon phase is over and she's already moaning in groaning at me! So heres what I got.

1. When turning left or right AND driving forward I get a very audible squeak, and the faster I roll the more frequent the squeak. The squeak comes from both sides of the front end.

2. It warms up unusually quick, at least on the meter, 200-210 in about 10 minutes at idle. Is this average? My '95 takes forever, even when I'm driving it!

3. The high temp fan (elec fan) seems to turn itself on and off when the heat switch is turned on to a lower level. This happens even when the vehicle is just started. It will spin up and turn off immediately, then repeat the process once the fan has completely stopped. Setting the switch to higher seems to stop it from doing so.

3a. Also when the elec fan stops, it rattles and shakes like a SOB. any way to tighten that up or will the unit need to be entirely replaced?

4. Last one! When coasting at speed, 30-50mph or so, I get a whirring/humming noise coming from the back left. This happens whether the jeep is in neutral or in gear. As long as torque isn't applied it will make the noise. As soon as I get on the throttle it disappears.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome to NAXJA

1. Have soneone turn the wheel right and left while you look listen from the front

2. Sounds like the thermostat on you 95 is stuck open

3. Pull the electric fan and inspect. One of the three motor mounting legs is broken. I epoxied one, it lasted a few months. Fortunately, a new one from rockauto isnt much more than a junkyard unit.

4. What diff? I would.start with a brake inspection and diff fluid change. If everything is good there, then maybe pull the shafts.

5. Consider joining NAXJA, it is well worth the modest membership fee for the amount of info, and time and frustration you will save while saving a small fortune maintaining your vehicle

In addition, cycling of the fan and AC clutch is normal if the climate control is in defrost, defrost/ heater, or AV modes.

-Ron

Thanks a lot! The heat was turned to defrost so good to know the fan isn't just spazzing out. Ill just replace the damn fan too, love rockauto! Ill check the thermostat...stat. And the humming sound is coming from the back left wheel (so it seems anyway). The noise isn't intense but it is noticeable. Thanks again!

I should also mention, if I cut the wheel to lock either left or right then drive forward it "lurches" like its in 4x4 for just a second then it smoothens out.

Back