• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Leaking freeze plugs in 98 4.0

256offroad

NAXJA Forum User
School me on what everyone does when replacing the 5 freeze plugs on the side of the block.

I have replaced them twice on my wifes jeep and they keep seeping coolant. They are brass 2" plugs. First time I treated the edges with the copper gasket stuff and the second time with permatex.

Im getting really tired of them leaking.

The cooling system got a new radiator, water pump and thermostat last freeze plug change. And now ive noticed ive got a slow leaking water pump.

None are leaking bad enough to leave a good sized puddle on the ground just coating stuff under in green...

Could these leaks be a result of to much pressure in the cooling system? or what.... I also put a lower pressure radiator cap to see if that helped but no luck.

Im planning on replacing the freeze plugs once again now that the weather is starting to warm up.

Did find this statement that concerns me....

"I have used sockets in a pinch and they work.One problem is that the socket can deform the plug and shrink the diameter if the center is caved a little from beating on it."

Did find this statement that concerns me....

"I have used sockets in a pinch and they work.One problem is that the socket can deform the plug and shrink the diameter if the center is caved a little from beating on it."

ive also heard this, but havent had the issue myself. the key to using the wrong tool for the job (like this) is to make sure the diameter matches the plug as close as possible so you arent pushing in the center of the plug.
if you have a persistent leak i'd look at the sealing surface for a crack, chip, or rust pitting that weakens the seal.

ive also heard this, but havent had the issue myself. the key to using the wrong tool for the job (like this) is to make sure the diameter matches the plug as close as possible so you arent pushing in the center of the plug.
if you have a persistent leak i'd look at the sealing surface for a crack, chip, or rust pitting that weakens the seal.

Havent thought about that. I know on my 96 (that doesnt leak) i used a socket the perfect diameter. I dont think i used that same socket on the 98 that leaks.... could be the problem...

i used a socket the perfect diameter. I dont think i used that same socket on the 98 that leaks.... could be the problem...
You want to use a socket that fits snugly inside of the plug. Not one that just sits some place in the center of the plug.

You want to use a socket that fits snugly inside of the plug. Not one that just sits some place in the center of the plug.

thats what im beginning to think. or at least thats what ill go with....

Back