• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bedliner sprayed on rockers - How to and results

Tony_SS

NAXJA Supporting Vendor
The bastards around here salt the roads something fierce. So in an attempt to protect the Jeep I decided to spray on some bedliner.

With a complete lack of research I went to O'Reillys and picked up some Duplicolor Bed Armor. I also used some yellow Frog Tape I had around.

IMG_2031_zps213e7ca6.jpg

Granted after I bought the product I read the reviews how the roll on stuff just plain sucks. I forged ahead with the spray anyway.

Sorry, no progress pics and I was rushing to get it done.

1. Clean surfaces with soap and water to remove dirt/wax.

2. Mask off the area with the tape.

3. Use a clear grease/wax remover solvent to clean again.

4. Use 180 grit sandpaper to scuff off all the clear coat.

5. Take an air hose or brush to remove all the dust.

6. Go over the area again with the grease/wax solvent.

7. Spray on bedliner in light coats. Wait between 5-10 mins between each coat.

Results
IMG_2032_zpsf7625e0d.jpg

IMG_2033_zps65186f3a.jpg

IMG_2037_zps732ea121.jpg

Conclusion
The Yellow Frog tape is the best I've ever used in getting a razor sharp line. I will never us ANY other product. It's about $8 on amazon or $10 at the store.

The Duplicolor Bed Armor went on easy and remained sticky for many hours. I was a bit worried, but I let it dry overnight and it became rock hard. The texture isn't like sandpaper, which is nice. It's very hard but smooth. I very pleased the final product and will use it again on my quarter panels. At $12 a can it makes for cheap armor.

That is a sharp paint line. Let us know how that spray on holds up in the long run. I haven't had good luck with the usual spray on/brush on stuff available at the local stores.

I had some monstaliner left over at the end of my floor project so I used it up on my wheel wells and bottom of rock sliders. Easy to get a sharp line, but it tight places where I couldn't get a brush/roller

Looks nice!

Cautions:
Prep must be tight or it will separate like most any other coating.
Long term may be an issue as if any moisture gets under the surface, you won't notice enything until it's way too late to fix it. Removing said product to do any repairs is a PITA as it clogs up discs faster than you can say Sh*t.
For those reasons I don't encourage it.

-Ron

Well damn I just put on lets not talk about taking it off. lol

I agree its all in the prep... I'm pretty anal about that since I dont want this stuff peeling off later, so hopefully my prep will let it stick. I've had great luck with Duplicolor paints in the past so we will see.

With the dark bottom it does appear the Jeep sits another couple inches higher. cheapest lift ever . lol

Back