• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cold Air Intake versus Light bar

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
2001 XJ - lifted about 5 1/2 inches on 31s.

I have a little cash to toss at her, and am leaning on 2 different options.

First, the Jeep is primarily a trail rig that sees street use around town (30 mph or less) and highway use to and from the trails (70+).

If I go with a cold air intake, should I expect any sort of noticeable positive result? I know the engine will suck in more air which is a good thing, but the difference from stock??? At low/crawl speed would it make any difference or is it primarily good for at speed when air is pouring in through the grill?

The other option is to get a light bar for the front bumper. More I think about it, that would probably be more for aesthetics, as I've never done any night wheeling, and for lighting up a campsite at night if needed while I set up tents in the dark. Probably not a necessary mod, but one that really has no negative effects to doing.

either option wont gain you any real functionality. if you want a better intake, do the DIY cowl intake.. it costs like 30-40 bucks. i have a 42" LED bar and it is too bright to use anywhere on the road. any LED is too bright for the road IMHO.

I'd upgrade headlights before either of those, if you haven't already.
LED interior lights
I've got a CAI - makes a (slight) difference, but I wouldn't buy one at retail price.
Light bar... you said it... aesthetics. It's not the end of the world to let your jeep idle a few minutes if you need to run the headlights while you pitch the tent.
My single favorite upgrade on my jeep is the headlight harness. All the rest is cool but nothing makes such a daily difference as better headlights.

Back