• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strengthening TRE's with double jam nut

RoyalXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 1.5" .250 dom tie rod for my fiances jeep. I went to install it today and there is a little too much tread showing on the tre's for my liking. Do you think double jam nutting will add a little more strength to the tre? Or would a better solution be running a goferit insert to put the tie rod on top of the driver knuckle? Will that make the length of the tie rod shorter so I don't need to have so much exposed thread on the tre's? I've given myself a headache trying to come up with a solution tonight.

The depth of thread engagement needs to be >= the diameter of the threaded shank. If you have at least as much thread engagement as shank diameter you are good to go, otherwise, start over and make it longer next time, or cut and sleeve.

Interesting question! My unqualified opinion is that it won't hurt to run the extra jam nut.

Semi-related... A few years ago I kept bending the exposed threaded portion on a Rusty's track bar. After replacing the end twice in less than 6 months, I double-nutted the third one to try to help strengthen the overly long(IMO) shank.
Never bent it again, sold the jeep a year later.
I think it could help, certainly won't hurt.

Semi-related... A few years ago I kept bending the exposed threaded portion on a Rusty's track bar. After replacing the end twice in less than 6 months, I double-nutted the third one to try to help strengthen the overly long(IMO) shank.
Never bent it again, sold the jeep a year later.
I think it could help, certainly won't hurt.

Thanks man. I'm gonna order them now.

I bought a 1.5" .250 dom tie rod for my fiances jeep. I went to install it today and there is a little too much tread showing on the tre's for my liking. Do you think double jam nutting will add a little more strength to the tre? Or would a better solution be running a goferit insert to put the tie rod on top of the driver knuckle? Will that make the length of the tie rod shorter so I don't need to have so much exposed thread on the tre's? I've given myself a headache trying to come up with a solution tonight.

the goferit insert will make the tie-rod a little bit shorter, but marginally so.

the double nut idea could theoretically help... I would consider welding the first nut to the tie-rod. essentially lengthening the tie-rod.

if you go this route, hand tighten it, tack it, then pull the TRE out for final welding.

bonus, you get a wrench zone on the tie-rod if you didn't already have one.

Back