• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TCM compatability question

jb98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 96 xj. Have been having some odd shifting issues. Replaced fluid, and screen. Still having issues. Read a bunch on here, and other sites, and looks like TPS, or TCM. Jeep runs/idles fine, so I am leaning towards trying a TCM swap. I unplugged it last night, and driving it as an "autostick" currently. No issues, so I know mechanically, trans is ok.
Here is my question. The number on the TCM I have is: 56041016, green lablel, says 92-96xj. I have seen ones w/ similar numbers listed for 92-96 xj. Do I need to find one w/ the exact same number? If not, any idea what ones are compatable? Thanks is advance!

Just make sure the year range is correct. Changes were made in '97 and again in '98.

I am assuming that the transmission stayed in first gear with the selector in the 1-2 position and stayed in third gear in the 3 or OD positions.

Can you describe the shifting issues? I ask because if the TV cable is out of alignment the shifting will be off. How off depends on which way the cable adjustment is off. It can be either too "long" or too "short".

IMO, making the TV adjustment first may be preferable to spending your hard earned cash...

Thanks for the reply. i did adjust the tv cable first. Seemed to help for a day or two. My issue is most times, the TC seems to lock/unlock opposite of when it should. Like cruising along, it unlocks, raises rpms, start up a hill, and it locks, dropped rpms. Does this mostly when cold. Once it warms up when driving, and I come to a complete stop, sometimes it will be ok, sometimes not. Seems to be leaning more towards not going away once warm. Based on research, that made me think TPS, but as far as running/idling, it runs perfectly.
Once or twice now, once I come to a stop, it does not shift down to first. I have had to manually shift to first. Most recently, when going down the highway cruising it tries to unlock the TC, but instead it shifts to neutral. It has done that twice, once after couple seconds, and a shift to 3, it was ok, the other time, I had to slow down, and manually shift to first, then it was ok.
So, last night I unplugged TCM, now it shifts as you described. I am just confused by the multiple TCM part numbers. Based on your reply, sounds like they are interchangable, as long as I stay w/ the 92-96. I found one at a local JY for $20, so it's worth a shot. Thanks.

OK, then. we just had a similar case here on NAXJA (I think the thread was titled TC will not unlock) and I think (please verify this) that it was the TPS that was the culprit. The thread I am referring to is most likely less than a month or so old.

With the TCM out of circuit the shifts should be as described as it is the "limp home" mode of operation.

The real AW4 expert here is kastein. I know what I know, he knows considerably more by far.

I'd ohm my grounds before I swapped out any component. I've had some ground issues in my 96. Eighteen years old, about time for oxidation to become a problem, time to ohm out the grounds and check for resistance.

I'm in the process of tracking them down now, it has been too cold and I've been living with it, now it is starting to warm up a little.:)

I'm suspecting a splice someplace. The G 106 ground has a lot of splices and components in the circuit. The book says it ends up on the fender well near the PCM.

And the G 101 splice I haven't even looked for yet, supposed too be someplace near the starter.

I'm also going to clean my tranny connectors again. You can ohm test the solenoids directly from the TCU plug and at the same time get an idea of the connector and ground circuit resistance.

I'd ohm my grounds before I swapped out any component. I've had some ground issues in my 96. Eighteen years old, about time for oxidation to become a problem, time to ohm out the grounds and check for resistance.

I'm in the process of tracking them down now, it has been too cold and I've been living with it, now it is starting to warm up a little.:)

I'm suspecting a splice someplace. The G 106 ground has a lot of splices and components in the circuit. The book says it ends up on the fender well near the PCM.

And the G 101 splice I haven't even looked for yet, supposed too be someplace near the starter.

I'm also going to clean my tranny connectors again. You can ohm test the solenoids directly from the TCU plug and at the same time get an idea of the connector and ground circuit resistance.

For sure do the tranny connectors.

Post 10 in the following link:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

Wanted to give an update. After looking over wiring/grounds, all checked out. I took a chance on a JY TCM for $20. It was out of a 93. Has been working perfectly for a couple weeks now! Thanks for all of the replies. As always, a vast amount of knowledge on here.

Back