• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pick-up tube contactaing oil pan.

johnson989

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock flow Melling pump(m81a) and Melling tube(242s). The screen is contacting the pan right in the center of the sump about 1/2 inch before the pan contacts the block. I have heard of the HV Melling pump hitting the pan, but haven't found this situation on here yet. Has anybody had this happen? It's a 2001.

How is it possible to install it at the wrong angle if it has to line up with the mounting hole? Doesn't installing a new tube require a new pump to get a good seal?

I have seen that video thanks. Like I said though how can you alighn the tube any other direction if it has to line up with the pump to block mounting hole?

I just got off the phone with George from Melling. He's actually the guy in the videos. Anyway it turns out that in 2000 chrystler made a change to their tube and Melling made a revision to the tube(242s). Well the one I bought from advance auto must have been old inventory. He is sending me the newer revised tube. He said I can twist the old one out and press the new one in and it won't compromise the seal because the tube takes all the damage. I'll let you know if it worked.

chrystler made a change to their tube and Melling made a revision to the tube(242s). Well the one I bought from advance auto must have been old inventory.

Strange, I have used the same PN for the pickup on a 2001, 2000 and a 1997 4.0 and they all fit the same.
What I did notice was my old oil pickup installation tool would not work with the 4.0 pickups, not being able to attach it close to the end of the pickup, that is inserted into the pump.
Ended up improvising, using a crow's foot wrench, combined with an old 3/8" drive extension and hose clamp.

Melling revised the part but kept the same part number. From what I understand the revised part will work with all years, but the old part will not work with 2000-2001.

Strange, I have used the same PN for the pickup on a 2001, 2000 and a 1997 4.0 and they all fit the same.
What I did notice was my old oil pickup installation tool would not work with the 4.0 pickups, not being able to attach it close to the end of the pickup, that is inserted into the pump.
Ended up improvising, using a crow's foot wrench, combined with an old 3/8" drive extension and hose clamp.
What was the hose clamp for? Was the crows foot a 5 point or just standard 2 point? I wanted to use my 5/8 flare nut wrench for more contact area, but couldn't fit it around the tube.

Back