• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Mount Questions?

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
I know for fact that my transmission mount is shot. If i grab the driveshaft i can get a bunch of play in the mount. I know that's shot.

1. Would a bad transmission mount cause vibrations from the rear?
2. Who makes a good replacement transmission mount?

I replaced the U-joints in the rear shaft. On the U-joint that attaches to the yoke on the axle i couldn't get the u-joint all the way in. I don't know if one of the needle bearings fell sideways, or one of the ears bent out slightly, but i couldn't get the clip in. I got the cap flush with the ear and tack welded the u-joint in place.

3. Could this be causing vibrations?

I also grinded down the entire shaft with a wire wheel to get all the surface rust off of it then i painted it. I don't think it had any weights on it, and i think if it did they would be welded on and i wouldn't be capable of wire wheeling them off, but honestly i can't remember.

Could this have anything to do with it?

I also replaced the rear leafs and shackles and my rear end is now like 4" higher. Could the angle have changed causing vibrations? Can i run a SYE in a stock ride height jeep without problems?

I think that's it for now. Sorry for the book. Just wish this jeep didn't vibrate so much.

To me the most likely cause is that your driveline angle changed when you lifted the rear 4".

Here's an explanation:

If you have a conventional two u-joint driveshaft then you need to keep the tcase output and pinion angles as close to parallel as possible. Some people use shims under the leaf springs to try to correct this.

SYE can be run at any height. Just make sure it fits . Trans mount can affect vibs. What about pulling the rear shaft and driving to see if vibe goes away?
But, if the mount is bad, replace it and go from there. If you have rubber engine mounts, get a rubber trans mount, poly/poly etc. I've been using carquest trans mount.

If there's something wrong with that u-joint that "wouldn't go all the way in"(and it sure sounds like it), that very well could be the problem. A bad joint can feel bad enough to make you think the tcase or trans is going south.

Back