• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Castrol Dex/Merc

smiley

NAXJA Forum User
So i want to change my tranny fluid, the only thing that I can find at advanced/orileys/walmart (only places in my area) have the Castrol Dex/Merc. I have read that I shouldn't use synthetic, is that true or just a rumor... can I use this stuff in my 2000 Jeep Cherokee?

That should work fine.

Wow! And I thought I was in a small town.

It seems like years since I've seen the synthetic question come up. To start with look at the end of the "AW4" thread just down from yours. I expressed my thoughts there but don't take my word.

Interestingly, you live in Kentucky which I assume is still home of Ashland, maker of the Valvoline brand of petroleum products (and on the shelves of our local Walmart). When I first replaced whatever ATF was originally in my AW4 with Valvoline MaxLife and began to read the dire warnings about synthetics, I called and talked to a tech at Ashland. He confirmed that the MaxLife was 100% synthetic and just laughed when I expressed concern about synthetics. He said that was an old wives tale, that they run transmissions 24/7/365 and have never had a failure attributable solely to a synthetic based ATF. True? Dunno. What would he say, that their product was junk?

I knew something about Ashland from some business dealings many years ago so decided to stay with the MaxLife. My experience does not prove that synthetics are okay for the AW4 and you will have to do a bit more digging to satisfy yourself.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Blue Jug ? I have been running that stuff for years and 100 of thousands (3) in my 96 XJ. No problems yet...

I run generic Dex/Merc in all 3 of my Jeeps. I buy it at the Farm and Fleet store, or WalMart,

Back