• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 xj tranny...

sewell1515

NAXJA Forum User
My tranny is acting up. It grinds into second gear. For example I'm crusing and come to a turn. When I slow down and try to engage second for the turn it grinds. Or if I put it in gear to quickly. Any ideas? If not does anybody have any pointers about installing a new tranny? It will be my first trans swap.

Greets.., Mr. Cruiser54, you suggest the AX15, (as almost everyone suggests), but I have a question that could be answered here rather than my calling the dealership some 250 miles away, blah, blah. Switching out the BA/10 for the AX15 requires some different forms of linkages, correct? I'd bet on that, but since our dear leader promoted that "cash for clunkers" destruction of viable oem parts, there is not much of a selection to draw upon way up here near the end of the road, lol. So, is there a list, (that you have seen, or have), of what is needed to successfully scrounge around high, and low, for the linkage parts for the switch? Also, I'd have to have said tranny trucked, and then barged up the coast beyond Canada. Do you know of a reliable, and credibly honest place to find the AX15? Appreciate input from 'ya all, too.

If you have the coin Novak conversions should have most everything you need.

Greets.., Mr. Cruiser54, you suggest the AX15, (as almost everyone suggests), but I have a question that could be answered here rather than my calling the dealership some 250 miles away, blah, blah. Switching out the BA/10 for the AX15 requires some different forms of linkages, correct? I'd bet on that, but since our dear leader promoted that "cash for clunkers" destruction of viable oem parts, there is not much of a selection to draw upon way up here near the end of the road, lol. So, is there a list, (that you have seen, or have), of what is needed to successfully scrounge around high, and low, for the linkage parts for the switch? Also, I'd have to have said tranny trucked, and then barged up the coast beyond Canada. Do you know of a reliable, and credibly honest place to find the AX15? Appreciate input from 'ya all, too.

Correct. I think the OP should verify lube level and condition before swapping trannies.

Do you get any grinding or a kind of crunch sound when you shift into reverse while stopped? It may be the beginning stages of a failed clutch cylinder.

I had some luck using ACDelco syncromesh tranny oil in my YJ. I also got pretty good at double clutching. Maybe drain the oil, run it through a coffee filter and see how much brass you have in the oil. Note, you aren't going to get it through a coffee filter unless you heat the oil first.

It is likely your synchronizer rings are worn, either fair wear and tear or maybe somebody used GL-5 in the tranny, which they don't seem to like much. The cold can also have some effect, mine always seemed to work better hot than cold.

A load of synthetic trans oil may help, the tranny doesn't hold much (it isn't real expensive) and is worth a shot.

My tranny is acting up. It grinds into second gear. For example I'm crusing and come to a turn. When I slow down and try to engage second for the turn it grinds. Or if I put it in gear to quickly. Any ideas? If not does anybody have any pointers about installing a new tranny? It will be my first trans swap.

Just to confirm, it IS a manual, correct?

If so, it's the BA-10/5, which was horribly misapplied. Look up "Let this be THE Peugeot to AX-15 Swap Thread" there, and it will point you in the right direction for putting in a proper transmission.

Does anybody know where I can find an ax15 from 88-90 xj? Also do the ba10 transfercases direct connect. Do I need and new parts to hook up to the ba10 set up?

Look up "Let this be THE Peugeot to AX-15 Swap Thread" there, and it will point you in the right direction for putting in a proper transmission.

everything you ever wanted to know is in that thread. including OE and aftermarket part numbers.

We'll I'm trying to change my fluid but I can't find the tool to take out the fill and drain plugs.

They're 5/16" square drive (or 8m/m - same deal.)

Easy enough to make one - go get a 5/16" or 8m/m cheap hex key, and grind the two outer opposite corners until it fits into the recess in the plug.

Save the tool, even after you've unloaded the transmission. The block drain plug takes the same wrench...

Back