• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tractor fluid in your AW4?

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody try this?
Lots of good info here: http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/303735-Tractor-fluid-instead-of-ATF and here: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/tractor-fluid-instead-regular-tranny-fluid-176117-2.html

I tow with my Jeep (on 33s, D44 with 4.88s and a pretty big trans cooler)
Even though it's got plenty of gear and the cooler, it still gets
pretty warm when it has to pull a long grade and it doesn't shift as firm as when I'm not towing (23' travel trailer maybe 3500# loaded)
Opinions?
Hans

Last edited:
Anybody try this?
Lots of good info here: http://www.theturboforums.com/threads/303735-Tractor-fluid-instead-of-ATF and here: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/tractor-fluid-instead-regular-tranny-fluid-176117-2.html

pretty warm when it has to pull a long grade and it doesn't shift as firm as when I'm not towing (23' travel trailer maybe 3500# loaded)
Opinions?
Hans
Make sure your torque convertor is locking up.

Sounds like a bad idea. Just my opinion. The AW4 wants Dex/merc IV anyway, NOT ATF.

I'd recommend a bigger cooler, perhaps one with its own fan.

Do you manually downshift to third when pulling the grade, or let the kickdown handle it? I it downshifts it will unlock the converter, if you downshift it it won't.

Sounds like a bad idea. Just my opinion. The AW4 wants Dex/merc IV anyway, NOT ATF.

I'd recommend a bigger cooler, perhaps one with its own fan.

No, using Dexron/Mercon IV would be a bad idea.....AW4s use Dexron
III and they're all ATF (Automatic Tranmission Fluid)

The 5speed isn't rated to tow that kind of weight

I let the trans down shift itself then manually shift
it so it stays there but, when you have your foot in it,
converter clutch unlocks anyway....it's not meant to hold
such a heavy load

Read all 13 pages of the "Turbo Forums" thread before
forming an "opinion"
Hans

I think it was more due to the numerically lower ratio gearing that the XJ's had from the factory with the manual. And, there is no reason a decently built manual trans wouldn't work.
Consider installing a manual TC lockup switch. See if it helps.

that article is awesome. I really want to try john deere hy hard in my aw4 to see if it can help reduce tranny temps and firm up shifts.

No, using Dexron/Mercon IV would be a bad idea.....AW4s use Dexron
III and they're all ATF (Automatic Tranmission Fluid)

The 5speed isn't rated to tow that kind of weight

I let the trans down shift itself then manually shift
it so it stays there but, when you have your foot in it,
converter clutch unlocks anyway....it's not meant to hold
such a heavy load

Read all 13 pages of the "Turbo Forums" thread before
forming an "opinion"
Hans

My bad... I forgot they use Dex III.

So has anyone actually tried running it yet? I would love to reduce operating temps by 10* and also just all around make the AW4 better…it seems like the low viscosity stuff would work in place of DEX III ? my heavy pig of a rig struggles after a long pull on 105* day fully loaded with peeps and gear.

Anybody try this?

Opinions?
Hans

I would recommend buying a tow rig. Maybe one that has manual trans. 3500# with a Cherokee is plain retarded.

I would recommend buying a tow rig. Maybe one that has manual trans. 3500# with a Cherokee is plain retarded.

you do realize that AMC rated a 4 liter auto XJ as 5000lb capable right? vs the 5 speed that only had a 2000 lb weight rating.

I'd do 3500lbs with trailer brakes and not think twice as long as the tongue weight is kept in check.

Lots of guys pulling pop ups and adventure trailers with XJs in that weight range.

We get that you love manual transmissions.
I do too, but the AW4 is a tough slushbox, one of the few that I actually like.

you do realize that AMC rated a 4 liter auto XJ as 5000lb capable right? vs the 5 speed that only had a 2000 lb weight rating.

I'd do 3500lbs with trailer brakes and not think twice as long as the tongue weight is kept in check.

Lots of guys pulling pop ups and adventure trailers with XJs in that weight range.

We get that you love manual transmissions.
I do too, but the AW4 is a tough slushbox, one of the few that I actually like.
The aw4 is a beast and I believe its one of the strongest factory automatic trans ever made.
I don't mind auto's I don't think even with breaks and proper tongue weight towing with an xj is a good thing. Expecially 3500# I could see maybe 2000 lb. But any decent grade and you will become a traffic hazard.

Last edited:
The aw4 is a beast and I believe its one of the strongest factory automatic trans ever made.
I don't mind auto's I don't think even with breaks and proper tongue weight towing with an xj is a good thing. Expecially 3500# I could see maybe 2000 lb. But any decent grade and you will become a traffic hazard.

an XJ has as much power as my 17K lb box truck.

it is not a hazard, and can keep speed on a hill.

How much towing with a cherokee have you done to formulate these opinions?

Properly setup, 3500lbs is not a big dumb load behind an XJ, and is something the stock drivetrain can handle just fine.

regardless of how you and I feel about towing with an XJ, this thread is about tractor fluid in an AW4.
I have not run anything aside from the recommended Dex.

Last edited:
My interests are more about tractor fluid not whether or not I
should tow with my XJ which by the way has no
problem pulling that weight and will maintain a steady
45-50 mph on the steep grades, passing semis (Ca's Cajon Pass)
and with the trailer's brakes, it stops as if I weren't towing
at all!
Hans

There's always that guy who thinks he needs a dialog f350 to tow his dirt bike trailer. Factory ratings are conservative and have safety factors built in.

subscribed....

ive just started reading through the threads and im liking what I read. I have a few spare AW4's laying around so I might just have to give this a shot. it might be a while before I post any results / findings since my jeep's been out of commission for a while now.

I ordered 2 gallons last week.

I got the John Deere low viscosity hy gard . Green tractor place online. 2 gallons was like 50$ shipped. About 17$ for a gallon and 17 for shipping. Going to first drain the pan ad refill and drive it like for a while.

Back