• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Setup Bearings

Qban

NAXJA Forum User
I'm making some setup bearings from my old carrier ones but I stretched the cage while pressing them off.

I'm thinking it should be fine since the race/cup presses on the rollers and the stretched cage wouldn't affect the overall thickness when they are squeezed together.

What do you guys think?
Thanks

As long as the cage is not stretched enough to let the rollers come out and it does not rub the bearing race then it is fine. That being said, I would go buy yourself a set of the cheapest bearings they have and use those. It will just be easier than dealing with a bearing the rollers might fall out of.

Thanks jeeperjohn, It didn't stretch enough for the rollers to fall out, and these bearings only have about 5k miles on them so I'm hoping they serve their purpose. It was impossible to get the bearing splitter under them when I stuck it in the shop press.

I just used brand new bearings. Technically they should come from the same lot of the same manufacturer's bearings as the ones you are installing, but good luck with that and I doubt it matters much.

They're like 6 bucks each, so it was worth it.

Back