• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Extended Brakelines

Seeker

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,
I have 3.5" rough country lift and the PO straightened out the brakelines (I can add pictures if you want). A buddy of mine is convinced that I need longer brake lines... Do I? I actually have some 4-6" skyjackers lines from a jeep I rolled but they seem too long. Any way I can set this up to make it work? Thanks for helping this noob...

There really are too many variables to answer your question, but the short answer is maybe yes and maybe no. Flex your suspension out all the way, as you would out on the trail (disconnect the swaybars if you do that when you go wheeling). As long as your brake lines arent your flex limiter, you are good to go. If on full flex your brake lines are very tight, then you need longer ones.

Strightening the brake lines is an easy way to avoid repacing the rubber lines. Nothing kinky about it as long as they moved the lower mount and didn't just let it dangle.

The lines you have for your SJ 4.5-5" lift maybe too long since the hardline has been moved. They only way you will know is to actually go look.

How short do you think you are?
YJ Brake lines came in various lengths dependng on the year and side.
I went to the NAPA site and looked up what I needed. I can't recall exactly, but I do know I ended up with 2 of one side to get 18" on both pass and driver side. Worked well and IMO more durable than the teflon covered braded steel over pastic line they offer with most lifts.

-Ron

Flex your suspension out all the way, as you would out on the trail (disconnect the swaybars if you do that when you go wheeling). As long as your brake lines arent your flex limiter, you are good to go. If on full flex your brake lines are very tight, then you need longer ones.

Good! I would also add "And turn the wheel. Worse case = Flexed out and Turning."

6utemy4e.jpg
ajytumav.jpg

Pics

I went to the NAPA site and looked up what I needed. I can't recall exactly, but I do know I ended up with 2 of one side to get 18" on both pass and driver side. Worked well and IMO more durable than the teflon covered braded steel over pastic line they offer with most lifts.

-Ron

What size was your lift? You bought yj brake lines?

Seeker, I have 5.5" of lift with a long arm setup, I needed really long lines. I straightened mine and added '88 drivers side hoses to each side.
I didn't recall correctly earlier, I said I put in 18" hoses, then I looked up my build sheet. The hoses I installed were a bit over 19".

I looked at the pic You posted. To be brutally honest, the way that hardline is trimmed is not optimal.
Straighten the brake lines. The end of the brake line should end up under the stock mounting location, not beside the shock. The way it's run there, the hose travels to the middle of the axle, but that's not where the caliper is at; it's in the back. You are just not getting the most out of it.

YJ brake hose lengths vary by year.

You can vet this out yourself. Go to NAPAONLINE and start adding vehicles and looking up hoses.

A '97 XJ hose is 16.25" regardless of which side it is.

A 90' YJ hose set is 14.5" (RT) and 14.625" (LT) and it stays that way until the end of the YJ in 96'.

However, I found that the early '88/'89 YJ hose set is 19.18"(RT) and 19.18"(LT)

The part numbers for the '89 hoses are UP 38500 and UP 38499.

-Ron

Last edited:
Back