• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need ideas for first bumper

genevamotorsports

NAXJA Forum User
I started my first front bumper build. Take a look at what I have so far and throw me some ideas. This XJ is 90% street driven and we don't have any rocks here in FL. It will be more of a brush guard and needs to go with my safari theme. I build race car roll cages, so I just used what I had and what I know. Let me know what you think of the way I mounted it and what you think needs to be added or changed. It is all just tacked know. Thanks!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

More strength from the frame out for the D-Ring tabs they are 1" thick and takes some heat to get the depth you need for the weld.

Id make a little forward hoop with some light tabs also.

Looks like the sides come back a little far... might rub on the tires.

True this....

Speaking from experience, trim back the tube ends to at least 1" forward of the fender flares.

Run a tube from the "wings" back to the frame plates, like so:

I would also tie the sway bar mounts into the brackets. One more additional plane to transfer the load onto the unibody.

Double or tripple up the frame plates to add a shackle mount.

Add additional weld area onto the tubes. You have what looks like 1'' of weld per tube, which is alright, but far from perfect. :)

The stock and aftermarket tow hooks used additional brackets that attached to the front cross member. Used the two bolt holes on the very front of the frame and the two holes on the cross member. Looked like large angle iron. Again, more planes to transfer the load.

I don't like how your frame brackets meet the tube in a thin legged 'T', there isn't enough weld area there to resist side loads at the very front of the bumper. I try to box my brackets to get a little additional side to side rigidity... Sure it's still 1/4
Thick where it leaves the frame rail, but at least it's not 5 inches of 1/4 thick, on its side... I drew a picture but am having trouble uploading via phone.

Everything is only tacked in place now so I can change it easily. Once the final layout is in place, I will make sure to add additional supports and "T" gussets. Once again, thanks for all the help.

Thanks again for all the recommendations and ideas. Here is the final design I came up with and I got to use up some scrap tubing I had left over. Are there any other mods I need before paint? Keep in mind that this XJ will not see the hard core stuff here in Florida...no rocks or mountains.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Otherwise known as limb risers

If the receiver is for recovery use, it needs more reinforcement tie-in and gussets.

I wish my welds looked that nice.

Back