• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which brand hoses

HappyDog

NAXJA Forum User
It's time to replace some hoses on my 1997 XJ.

I'm looking at both heater hoses as well as the high pressure hose for the power steering.

I want to avoid crap like the Cardone brake hoses I got last year. All I have around here are K-Mart and O'Reilly's, neither of which is very good.

There is no Jeep dealer within 50 miles of me so everything will be done mail order, even if it's genuine Mopar. Also there is no NAPA anywhere nearby either.

My favorite vendors for OEM-type stuff are RockAuto and We-R-Mopar but I'm willing to go somewhere else if the quality is good and the price is attractive.

RockAuto carries Gates, Goodyear, and AC-Delco for the heater hoses, and Edelmann, Gates, and AC-Delco for the high pressure power steering hose.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't own any stock in O'Reilly but I'm curious why you feel they are no good as respects hoses. Same name brand stuff (Gates, etc. others have).

I've kept my '93 in hoses from O'Reilly for 9 years with zero problems. And the '85 before that for however many years they've been around.

Other than that: RockAuto

I don't own any stock in O'Reilly but I'm curious why you feel they are no good as respects hoses. Same name brand stuff (Gates, etc. others have).
The O'Reilly's here is small and because it is in a low income area it stocks only the cheapest items. I can order the better stuff at the counter and they get it within a day or two, but then I have to go back to pick it up. It's much easier to order from RockAuto and save the two trips.

Thank you for pointing out that Gates hoses have worked well for you.

I replaced my upper rad hose with a gates from oreilly.

the bend is not quite the same as factory and it creates an air pocket.

the quality of the hose seems to be good, but the fit isn't.

I replaced my upper rad hose with a gates from oreilly.

the bend is not quite the same as factory and it creates an air pocket.

the quality of the hose seems to be good, but the fit isn't.
Thank you for that information because I will need to replace both radiator hoses soon as well.

I have recently stopped using Azone for radiator hoses.

I have seen low quality at all the local stores lately, AZ, NAPA, O'reily, unless you buy the premium priced brand. Azone has just one brand in stock recently, A-junk, duracrap.

Gates. Made in USA. Green stripe heater hoses are the last you will buy, but they will only work on the non-molded applications.

I have recently stopped using Azone for radiator hoses.

I have seen low quality at all the local stores lately, AZ, NAPA, O'reily, unless you buy the premium priced brand. Azone has just one brand in stock recently, A-junk, duracrap.
Over the last several months RockAuto has been advertising "wholesaler closeouts". Those which I bought turned out to be NAPA. I don't know if that's because NAPA is downsizing or if it's because NAPA is no longer stocking higher-quality stuff. I was buying what I considered to be pretty good quality stuff from major manufacturers, but as wholesaler closeouts. Like Raybestos rear wheel brake cylinders, the best quality front brake pads Raybestos makes, and so on.

I general buy light weight stuff from rockauto when I can. And I buy heavy stuff like brake rotors at A-Zone because of the freight costs to ship from online sources. I have found good head light and body part deals on ebay....

Rockauto wholesale close outs have some nice deals, like WSwiper blades!!!!:sunshine:

Depending on the part, I have bought at least 1 part from just about every local and online dealer there is. I did buy some spare hoses for a rainy day on sale from Rock auto last year, they are good looking hoses.

The O'Reilly's here is small and because it is in a low income area it stocks only the cheapest items. I can order the better stuff at the counter and they get it within a day or two, but then I have to go back to pick it up. It's much easier to order from RockAuto and save the two trips.
Ummmm, you can order off the O'Reilly's web site, maybe even pick up at the store.

Ummmm, you can order off the O'Reilly's web site, maybe even pick up at the store.
I've done that but the results weren't nearly as good as ordering at the counter. The problem, at this store at least, is when I order online they have no idea where it is when it arrives, or even if it has arrived. When I order at the counter they are aware of the order and grab it when it arrives and call me.

However, if I order online I find it easier to order from RockAuto than O'Reilly, and I don't have to drive somewhere to pick it up, and it's cheaper even after the shipping.

I do buy from the local store when I can because I'd like them to be successful and stay here, but sometimes it is a challenge!

Considered ordering from Advanced Auto, Carquest etc? They are one in the same now. And we sell gates at carquest. So, no reason not to order gates from either. Maybe Jegs? They offer free ship/handling.

Back