• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spartan locker problems...

Ajhaun

NAXJA Forum User
So installing a spartan locker in the front of my wife's Cherokee.. The cross pin isn't fitting with the sleeves inside. I can't see what those sleeves do to begin with. I want to double check my work but can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it from the carrier. Anybody know how to remove the locker from the carrier

You need to remove the clamps (2 bolts on each) on both sides of the carrier. Keep mind that they MUST go back in the same way they came out. After that just use a crow bar and wedge it under the bottom of the carrier and gently tap it out.
I have a Spartan and had the same issue. Spartans don't use those sleeves. Just take them out (or don't put them in) and your cross pin will slide right in.
Good luck!

Do you have the thrust washers still in there? Spartan doesn't reuse them like a lockright or Aussie does, that could account for several thou right there.

You need to remove the clamps (2 bolts on each) on both sides of the carrier. Keep mind that they MUST go back in the same way they came out. After that just use a crow bar and wedge it under the bottom of the carrier and gently tap it out.
I have a Spartan and had the same issue. Spartans don't use those sleeves. Just take them out (or don't put them in) and your cross pin will slide right in.
Good luck!

the "clamps" you are referring to are the bearing caps. if removed, they need to be reinstalled in the exact same orientation that they came off... top bottom, left and right. but your assuming that the OP is asking about a dana axle. the C8.25 uses adjusters, and removal of the carrier requires rechecking everything upon reinstallation. you cant just pop the carrier out, then pop it back in like a D30.

by "sleeves" i think you mean the thrust washers? the OP should look at the installation manual, but i dont think my spartan nor my aussie used them. if you are refering to the journals that go inside the ratcheting gear, the OP needs to use them. the spartan should have 6 pieces plus a cross shaft and springs, use them all.

checking the gap as the instructions say is also important.

Back